How to choose the right strumming pattern

meharbrar12
meharbrar12
02/17/2021 10:36 pm

Hi!

Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question, but how do you go about choosing the right strumming pattern for a song your writing? Like in my case I have lyrics, melody etc, I know a handful of strum patterns but what sort elements should I be looking for when choosing one or even writing one to compliment the rhythm of the melody if that makes sense. Is there any connection in the melody and the strumming pattern I should be looking for,

Again, sorry for this question, I'm just curious if theres actually a sort of technicality when choosing the strum or is it all in the feel.

Thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2021 3:44 pm
Originally Posted by: meharbrar12

how do you go about choosing the right strumming pattern for a song your writing?[/quote][p]It depends on a number of factors.

1. What is the time signature?

2. Straight rhythm or swing rhythm?

3. Is there an existing chord progression?

4. Is there an existing melody? Bass line? Guitar part?

5. What is the theme of your song?

And in a lot of cases this comes down to the limits of your ability. For example . . .

Originally Posted by: meharbrar12Like in my case I have lyrics, melody etc, I know a handful of strum patterns

And you can only use what you know. So it's a great idea to always be learning & working on new rhythmic ideas. With that in mind are you working on the acoustic course? Or the blues or country course? Those have many different ways of playing rhythm guitar.

[quote=meharbrar12]but what sort elements should I be looking for when choosing one or even writing one to compliment the rhythm of the melody if that makes sense. Is there any connection in the melody and the strumming pattern I should be looking for

The above list is a good starting point. But in many cases you could use more than one particular strumming pattern for any given song. Often it just is an artistic choice as to whether or not you think the pattern you are using is appropriate.

In many cases the melody & lyrics that people write already has a specific rhythm & it's driven or created by the strumming patterns they already know. So understandably, they are creating to their wheelhouse. After all you can only use what you know.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
rayansmithusa
rayansmithusa
12/08/2021 10:51 am

I am very glad to read this informative discussion. Thanks all

# 3
Maximilian Paintner
Maximilian Paintner
03/30/2022 3:37 pm

In my opinion there is no right or wrong here. You always have to chose what you like best. One cool way to find some new strumming patterns though is, to limit yourself to one short chord progression or even one chord and then challenge yourself to find a number of patterns, maybe 20, maybe 50 (from easy to hard). Also you can always find inspiration by listen carefully to the strumming patterns or rhythms your favourite artists use, as well as listening to completely new music.

To your specific question though:

You may want to look for some pattern that doesn´t feel out of places of the rhythm of the melody and your style, except you specifically want that. You should always be clear what your music should sound or feel like for the listener and build the actual musical elements around that.

I hope this helps :D

Keep the songwriting work going, everyone has music inside and just needs to find a way to free it!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.