ear training where to learn

mbw1
mbw1
09/16/2017 10:13 am

hello

I play guitar and I would like to better at playing by ear and get more rhythmic, and I was wondering of there were a online site that would help me to become better at that.

I have found these so far

Musical U ear training

Music is win super guitar system 1

Have anybody tried one of these sites or have one they can recommed ?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/16/2017 2:30 pm

Hey, there!

What's your current skill level? Is there a style of music type of guitar playing you are aiming for? If you haven't yet, then I strongly encourage you to work through the GT fundamental courses. After that, (or if you've already progressed beyond that) pick a style course that best suits your goals.

Links to all those courses are on this page.

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

And of course you should be learning songs!

Originally Posted by: mbw1

I play guitar and I would like to better at playing by ear and get more rhythmic, and I was wondering of there were a online site that would help me to become better at that.

[/quote]

The best way to improve your aural skills is figure out songs on your guitar. Play guitar a lot & listen! :)

Listen to a lot of pop music. Blues, rock, country, jazz, radio pop. Everything. Listen for bass motion & try to pick out the bass notes. Then add the rest of the chord to discover it's chord quality: major, minor, dominant, extended harmony, etc. Then start to pick out the melody notes, usually the vocal line in pop music. Or even the licks & solos!

Do that for a lot of songs until it becomes second nature.

[quote=mbw1]

I have found these so far

Musical U ear training

Music is win super guitar system 1

Have anybody tried one of these sites or have one they can recommed ?

I'm not familiar with any of those sites. One of my favorites to recommend is.

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/

Sites like that can help you develop your aural skills when you are away from your guitar. Or be an addition to your guitar learning.

But in my experience, the best way by far to improve your ear training (aural skills) is to do it with a musical instrument in your hands. Learning the basics: chords, scales, rhythm, harmony, basic sight reading. Then listening to songs, figuring out bass notes, chord progressions & melodies.

Sometimes people study theory as an isolated pursuit, separated from the sounds. I've seen it result in students that can name every note, scale, chord, mode & inversion. But since they only studied in "on paper", they can't identify the sound of those things when they hear them.

So, how does that work? :) Like this.

The best way to train your mind & ear (aural training or ear training) is to be able to recognize intervals & chord progressions by automatic memory recall.

If you learn basic scales & their degrees like this.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

And, then practice those basic scales like this:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=451

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=723

And then use them to play lots of little melodies & licks like this:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=439

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=896

Then mentally identify the notes of those melodies as scale degrees, then you will be on your way to developing your ear correctly.

Consider that once you understand that these major scale degrees ...

1-1-5-5-6-6-5-4-4-3-3-2-2-1

... form the sound of the melody to Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, once you can hear that in your mind before you pick up a guitar and play it or hear it, once you can visualize that on the guitar fretboard before you play it, then you've started ear training correctly. :)

I know that is a very simple example, but really that is the entire process described in a nutshell. That is the exact same thing I do & every musician does to recognize, play, make up melodies, riffs, licks, and chord progressions.

We recognize that certain patterns of notes & scales on the guitar will result in certain specific sounds every time.

For example, when I hear this lick:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20405

It doesn't matter if it's in a rock song, blues song, what kind of guitar or amp or which key it's in. When I hear any guitarist play those notes I know right away before picking up the guitar to figure out the notes exactly what they are. This is because I know they are scale degrees 5-5-1-5-1 (with some bending).

I explain the scale degrees of that specific song in the next lesson.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20406

Next you want to play various groups of chord progressions like I-IV-V so you are building a similar folder of chord progressions in your memory banks. You want to play things like this A-D-E progression with the idea in mind that it is a progression:

A (I chord)[br]D (IV chord)[br]A (I chord)[br]E (V chord)

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=442

And this group of chords is the exact same progression, but in C instead of A.

C (I chord)[br]F (IV chord)[br]C (I chord)[br]G (V chord)

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=443

Eventually you need to work at realizing that those are the same sounds anytime you encounter them. So, when you hear Buddy Holly playing It's So Easy, you'll know right away that he's playing an A, D and E major chord in different orders.

A-E-D-E[br]A-D-E-A

Or when you hear Twist & Shout or La Bamba, you'll recognize that they are both just variations on I-IV-V chord progressions in C major!

C-F-G

Every song is built from the basic materials of notes, scales & chords. These patterns repeat over and again in pop, rock, country, blues music. So, the trick is to get your mind & ear to memorize & understand what those patterns are.

Almost every blues you hear is built from a I-IV-V progression. After practicing playing & learning to identify these chord progressions, I can hear them immediately when I hear a new song.

Make sense?! :)

Hope this helps! Please more if necessary & best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
mbw1
mbw1
09/17/2017 12:49 pm

hey christopher

I would say that I am not at a beginner level, but I still do not consider myself as a intermedia player, I think I still lack on some things before I will be come a intermedia player. I am aming for the rock and blues kinda style, like AC/DC, The Stones, The Beatles; BB Kink; Eric Clapton and so on.

Your answer helps alot, thank you for explaining the basics for me. Guitar tricks has helped me to improve, and I have looked at the fundamental course for rock and for blues.

I know to delvop a better ear you should listen to alot of music, I do that too and tr y to figure it out, but it is still differcult for me. So I just wanted to know if there was a specifc websites the only learned how to delvoped a better ear. I will take a look on the sites you gave me, so thank you agian for the aswer

I also wanted to know if the sites i have found was a scam or legit too

by the way I do apoligize if there is some spelling or grama mistake, english is not my first language, hope you understand what i wrote.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/17/2017 1:48 pm

You're welcome for the reply! :)[br]

Originally Posted by: mbw1[p]I would say that I am not at a beginner level, but I still do not consider myself as a intermedia player, I think I still lack on some things before I will be come a intermedia player. I am aming for the rock and blues kinda style, like AC/DC, The Stones, The Beatles; BB Kink; Eric Clapton and so on.[/quote][p]Thanks for the information about your skills & goals! I think if you continue to learn about scales, chords & harmony, then combine that knowledge with what you learn from songs you will be on your way.

Originally Posted by: mbw1Your answer helps alot, thank you for explaining the basics for me. Guitar tricks has helped me to improve, and I have looked at the fundamental course for rock and for blues.[/quote]

Glad you are enjoy & learning from GT!

[quote=mbw1]I also wanted to know if the sites i have found was a scam or legit too

That's a good idea to research a site to see if it's legitimate or useful.

[quote=mbw1]by the way I do apoligize if there is some spelling or grama mistake, english is not my first language, hope you understand what i wrote.

Your English is fine! No need to apologize at all. I understood exactly what you were asking. Glad I was able to help!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
09/17/2017 6:07 pm

Just stumbled across this exchange. These are some things that i struggle with in the journey. I try to get in at least a couple hours a day with my guitar in hand but time gets precious sometimes. Between hands on training, ear training, theory, listening etc., Not to menton the house, the family, the work you know it gets hectic. Thank goodness for the pros here that share their knowledge and experience. Thanks Christopher that was very helpful...very cool.

# 5
donsheilacole
donsheilacole
09/17/2017 8:11 pm

I saved this for future reference but would like this feature added to the guitartricks site.

When you suscribe to a thread there should be a way to bring back this thread on demand and have a list of the threads you have suscribed to then delete when finished. - posted to the guitar site section

Cheers

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2017 11:58 am

Glad you guys enjoyed this thread!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
mbw1
mbw1
09/20/2017 10:52 am

if i praticed my ear training with a piano instead of a guitar, would I still gain the same or would it kinda be a waste of time?

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/20/2017 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: mbw1

if i praticed my ear training with a piano instead of a guitar, would I still gain the same or would it kinda be a waste of time?

That's a great question. Practicing on a piano has pros & cons.

While you could use a piano for ear training, it's definitely not the same as using a guitar to do the same task. You could get your mind & ear used to hearing intervals, scales, chords, chord progessions just like you would on the guitar.

The disadvantage is that you would not be reinforcing how those patterns look (visually) & feel (tactile to you fingers) on the guitar.

You would be instead be training your eyes & fingers to manipulate those elements of music theory on the piano.

I know from playing & practicing both intruments that there is a certain amount of carry over that works well between those instruments. After all, a major scale sounds the same on both. A chord or chord progression sounds basically the same.

But there are often drastic differences in how chords are voiced on piano as opposed to the guitar. And there is a considerable difference in timbre no matter what you do.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
enn.raven5
enn.raven5
01/10/2021 12:22 am

Thanks, Christopher!

That's very helpful for self-learning people like me!

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/10/2021 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: enn.raven5

Thanks, Christopher!

That's very helpful for self-learning people like me!

You're welcome! This thread is from 2017 since then I've done 2 GT tutorials specifically aimed at ear training. Check them out!

Ear Training for Intervals

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2401

Ear Training for Chords

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2414

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
JJozwiak
JJozwiak
05/14/2021 3:22 pm

To master interval recognition, I suggest to check out the app prepared by myself.

www.intervals.fun

What makes it easier for guitarists is the nomenclature based on the number of frets (number of semitones).

Another advantage for guitarists is the choice of guitar sounds.

The visualization for now is only in the form of a piano, but in the future there will be also a visualization of guitar's frets. This app is a fresh project and it's still 100% free, so you will have to wait some time for the guitar visualization.

Nevertheless, I think that ear training itself can already be fully realized through a reliable practice of a few minutes every day.

Have fun!

JJozwiak.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

# 12
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
07/12/2022 2:30 am

Just 'effin awesome!

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.