Is Just Learning To Play Songs A Better Way To Go

olivecorduroy
Full Access
olivecorduroy
Full Access
03/01/2022 6:44 pm

Hello All,

So I have been trying to learn how to play guitar off and on for about ten years now...I'd pick it up for awhile, get pretty good, get discouraged, and then stop for periods of time...and this process has repeated itself repeatedly...

[br]I have managed to play open chords and strumming patterns proficiently...the same with power chords...but through all of this, I have never learned a single song...all I've essentially done is practice chord changes over and over...I guess you could say that I'm a technician...don't get me wrong, I've gotten good at the limited things I've practiced but for me, there has to be a better way than for me to just practice the technical stuff over and over...

So this time around I thought I would just learn songs by using what I already know and by just building on that by learning songs...essentially viewing a song as a project and seeing it to the end until it is complete...a way to establish a goal with the intent of accomplishing it...I'd take a couple of songs to work on...one or two that are similar in nature that are within my reach with what I know...and one that would be a long term project that would challenge me...in my case it would be a couple of the AC/DC songs that use open power chords and Hells Bells as my long term project...

I've heard that we are learning to play guitar to play songs...am I right with my approach this time around?

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/01/2022 7:11 pm

I'd say it's not 'either, or' but both.

Practice the theory and technique found in the GT lessons and practice songs too. Have a plan, devote some time to each. They are mutually beneficial.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
03/01/2022 7:56 pm

As john of MT says, it's both IMV.[br][br]I see no point in being proficient at playing chords or notes if one doesn't apply the proficiency pragmatically. [br][br]For a myriad of reasons, playing songs should be a part of one's curriculum from the outset as soon as one knows a couple of open chords and has changing between them under one's belt. There are a zillion instantly recognisable songs which can be played as a rhythm part using just three chords, and more than a few with just two. e.g. "Horse With No Name". Any of these cement so many key aspects of rhythm playing in the process. [br][br]I'd suggest a two pronged approach to learning songs until you find your way (the method which works best for you).[br][br] From a selection of songs you like, start by selecting at least one which is easily within your current competency, and another which challenges you outside your comfort zone, but not so far so that it will present an unachievable short term goal nor pushes your personal frustration boundry to the point you'll abandon it when confronted by the requirement for persistent repeticious input of effort to see the reward.[br][br]Ref the second, select the parts you want to play, and start with the most recognisably obvious and easiest, generally i.e. rhythm. [br][br]Start and stick at it until you can play the song complete. Once you've got that down, keep make it a part of your practice repertoire and continue to polish everything about it. i.e. tempo, strum pattern nuance, commiting it to memory until it's literally rote etc.[br][br]In the interim, rinse and repeat for the other guitar parts of the song, lead solo/bridge and/or second rhythm as desired.

# 3
Sour_Note
Full Access
Sour_Note
Full Access
03/02/2022 4:10 am

I think songs allow you to put the pieces together. Hammer on, chords, double stops, etc... so you will still be practicing many of those concepts you have been learning.

I grapple with the balance and also the time I have to play guitar. I am currently trying to work thru a song so I find myself spending more time therefore the progress of the lessons slow down. I'm fine with the trade off but know that I need to continue forward even though it is slow going.

So I say find the balance that keeps you interested enough to keep picking up the guitar. If that balance changes (as it does for me), adjust accordingly. My goal is to simply enjoy the journey and get a little bit better.

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/03/2022 7:34 pm
Originally Posted by: olivecorduroy

Hello All,

So I have been trying to learn how to play guitar off and on for about ten years now...I'd pick it up for awhile, get pretty good, get discouraged, and then stop for periods of time...and this process has repeated itself repeatedly...

[br]I have managed to play open chords and strumming patterns proficiently...the same with power chords...but through all of this, I have never learned a single song...all I've essentially done is practice chord changes over and over...I guess you could say that I'm a technician...don't get me wrong, I've gotten good at the limited things I've practiced but for me, there has to be a better way than for me to just practice the technical stuff over and over...

So this time around I thought I would just learn songs by using what I already know and by just building on that by learning songs...essentially viewing a song as a project and seeing it to the end until it is complete...a way to establish a goal with the intent of accomplishing it...I'd take a couple of songs to work on...one or two that are similar in nature that are within my reach with what I know...and one that would be a long term project that would challenge me...in my case it would be a couple of the AC/DC songs that use open power chords and Hells Bells as my long term project...

I've heard that we are learning to play guitar to play songs...am I right with my approach this time around?

Like others said; you should be leawrning songs. More to the point, you must learn songs.

Think of it as a child learning to speak; if the child only could learn to speak based on grammitical rules but no practical application, that kids wouldn't actually be able to speak. Children learn by emulating the speech of those around them.

I would suggest that anyone who has got to the point of being able to play chords and maybe single string melodies, get right to learning songs. There is a point in a players journey where songs are more important to learn than the theory. To be clear, you don't ignore theory and such for ever but there is a point where you gain more just playing and learning songs that gain more than just humping through theory. That time in a plyers journeys to buold the skill of playing.

Get a bunch of songs under your belt. Have fun doing it.

Once you're at the point of being able to (even with a bit of work), play along with songs, you'll want to come back to the theory of guitar playing. You need to to come back to playing. You may even learn a new song and an instructors says that something is a 'major scale' or a note as a t 'interval X' and so on, you can dig info on what that means as you're lear ning the songs.

Songs are where skill and knowledge rubber meets the road.

Ultimately, the decision between theory and songs is a balance but you'll need both but just remember that the reason you're playing is to play songs and have fun. That is the top of reasons why we play.

# 5
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/04/2022 3:42 am

Hey Olive,

As someone accomplished in the art of quitting guitar repeatedly, I've tried playing songs exclusively and I've tried just learning music theory and technique exclusively. Both will lead to aggravation, frustration and a lot of wasted time. I don't have anything more to add to what the previous posters have so astutely stated but I can reiterate with confidence that you need to do both. You will get much further, much faster if you engage in this site's excellent Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 courses [u]and[/u] work on some beginner songs. It will also result in more overall enjoyment, the lack of which is truly a recipe for quitting. It took me 50 years to figure that out. By engaging in course work and learning songs simultaneously, I'm finally well on my way to acquiring some real skills and enjoying the ride.

Nicolai

# 6
afpierson
afpierson
03/04/2022 3:53 pm

It is fun learning songs, but you must learn how to walk into chords, chord embellishments, strum patterns, and the various scales. I signed up for GuitarTricks two weeks ago and have practiced every single day. My playing is so much better because all I was before was an open chord song player. Now I know how to embellish with sus chords, walk into all the major chords (C,G,D) and (A,D,E), Neil teaches this in the "chords and scales" section. My playing is still slow but I am getting better and better everytime I practice. My methodology for learning since I already had some basic chord knowledge, was to complete the entire beginner course with Anders and move on to practicing some of the scales and techniques. I plan to go back and do Lisa's beginner course also to see what I pick up there. I own a Gretcsch electric and a Gibson jumbo acoustic and alternate with country and rock playing to diversify myself.

In summary, I suggest you come up with a plan. If just learning songs is what you care about most, then have at it and have fun. However, I beleive you will really surprise yourself with your own techniques by learning the way I have been doing it. It's fun and rewarding. The most important things though is that you are having fun.

# 7
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
03/05/2022 12:20 am

If all you do is learn to play songs as performed by somebody else, then all you will ever be is someone who can imitate. There is far more to becoming a guitarist than just copying what others have already done.

I started out by just learning songs, and stunted my playing in far too many ways to list here. Almost 40 years later, I am still learning to become the guitarist I intend to become.

If I could go back to when I first started playing, then I would begin by mainly ignoring songs and concentrate instead on techniques, scales, triads, riffs, licks, etc, etc......

I really wish something like GF1 & 2, then move on to whatever genre courses had been around when I started. I wouldn't have wasted so much time thinking being able to play songs made me a guitarist (although it did enable me to busk, gig with others, and play in bands).

Obviously, the above is only my opinion, and others may disagree entirely, but I think anyone who asks a question deserves a variety of answers when there isn't actually a 'correct' one

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 8
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/05/2022 9:46 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

If I could go back to when I first started playing, then I would begin by mainly ignoring songs and concentrate instead on techniques, scales, triads, riffs, licks, etc, etc......

I agree completely. I try to learn songs because on this site they are essentially taught as a series of riffs and licks that get assembled in the end. It's the songs, riffs, licks component of the journey that I ignored early in my most recent foray back into music. Fortunately for me, Draconus, there were people in here who offered opinions like yours that allowed me to see the error of my ways (in more ways than one) and set me on a course that I know I'll never give up on again.

Nicolai

# 9
Dang Yankee
Dang Yankee
03/10/2022 8:24 pm

I'm with most of the folks here. Learing both songs and lessons are important. What I habve been trying to do lately is to learn songs that aspecifically employ techniques I'm studyin in the lessons. So if I'm studying root/chrd strumming, for onstange, I learn a few songs that use root/5 strumming. Or I take a song I already know and apply the technique to it.

I see now in the Fundamentals courses they have some recommended songs to go with the various chapters. I hope they do the same for the pother courses.

# 10
Terry45
Full Access
Terry45
Full Access
03/19/2022 1:02 pm

Great thread and well timed for me. I also struggle to balance trying to learn songs and going through the lesson plans. I have been going through Anders Mouridsen's rock fundamentals and really enjoy the lessons. I think the lessons have helped my development tremendously. My problem is that I am easily distracted by songs! I hear a great song and think I can do that..and well..two hours later..maybe not. I can get a lot of the rhythm pieces and a few riffs but can never seem to get the lead parts. I have been having a great time playing and learning Bad Co's Feel Like Makin Love. Just a great 70s rock song with easy to play signature riffs! Also loved the Beatles Daytripper along with Cocaine and Mental Health, Bang Your Head. Also a great song to help with cord changes is Peter Frampton's Show Me The Way.

Squirrel!!

# 11
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
03/19/2022 1:31 pm

Hey OliveC -

In truth, I started playing guitar because I thought it'd help me get lucky :)

Found I enjoyed playing and singing songs - wasn't really that good, but people seemed to like it anyway. Never did score a date but found I liked playing songs.

Even though I had a piano background, I applied zero theroy to my guitar playing.

Something I should have discovered earlier what the therapeutic value of "noodleing" and the satisfaction of learning and doing something well - such as string bending - as a value in itself.

Follow your heart. If it tells you to play a song, play a song. If it tells you to get a strumming pattern right, then work on it till you get it right.

You may never score a date because of it, but you will score a lot of good, warm fuzzies along the way.

# 12
emmamom0
emmamom0
04/03/2022 9:47 pm

Practice the theory and technique and enjoy playing

# 13
gregmchir
gregmchir
04/04/2022 2:15 pm

When you start out you need the theory to make sure you dont have any bad habits . Songs help you with this . After learning the basics what I did was pick out songs with different chords and styles .and cherry pick lessons For instance Bob Dylan songs are great for barre chords . Johnny cash songs are great for Boom chick style Blues songs are great for learning shuffle and swing beat Right now I am learning travis picking as theory but i find it difficult so I balance it with songs so I dont get frustrated For me personally i forget some of the more complicated theory thats why I pick certain lessons and then learn songs

i can play along to quite a few songs in performance mode but if you take away the scrolling feature i cant remember one song . The trick is to memorize the song I am currently in the process of trying to memorize about 20 songs I can play along to . I find that once I memorize a song it really gives me a feeling of accomplishment Since I cant sing I still rely on the videos for accompaniment Once you have a repetoire of songs that you memorize then delve deeper into theory and learn more complicated songs. Also it helps to have goals in mind For instance songs that are harder but not beyond your grasp. Then you might also pick out songs that you want to learn but are currently way out of your reach For me that would be classical gas or the lead to freebird and figure out what you have to learn to get there.

Hope this helps

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.