Struggling to focus as a guitarist

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > Struggling to focus as a guitarist

Rumble Walrus

Full Access

Try "Sundown" - and awesome Gordon Lightfoot song that strums really well. Easy to sing too.

Try "Sundown" - and awesome Gordon Lightfoot song that strums really well. Easy to sing too.

William MG

Originally Posted by: Rumble

Yes you are right, this would likely be a good place to start. I always liked If You Could Read My Mind, but that's not happening anytime soon.

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

Yes you are right, this would likely be a good place to start. I always liked If You Could Read My Mind, but that's not happening anytime soon.

Mike O

Works for me!

JeffS65

Full Access

Originally Posted by: William

Yup, the stuff that takes me back is BTO, and The Guess Who and early Rush. Then there is also the Tragically Hip. But they were later and never caught on outside of Canada.

I lived in Fargo North Dakota for eight years (went college in Moorhead MN). The local station played lots of Canadian stuff so there was always a Trooper (Raise a Litle Hell was a great song) or something of the like being played and Tragically Hip filtered that far south too. With that said, BTO had a lot of great riffs.

Yup, the stuff that takes me back is BTO, and The Guess Who and early Rush. Then there is also the Tragically Hip. But they were later and never caught on outside of Canada.

I lived in Fargo North Dakota for eight years (went college in Moorhead MN). The local station played lots of Canadian stuff so there was always a Trooper (Raise a Litle Hell was a great song) or something of the like being played and Tragically Hip filtered that far south too. With that said, BTO had a lot of great riffs.

mjgodin

Full Access

Hi William,

I recently watched a great documentary on Gordon Lightfoot on Amazon prime. If you subscribe you should check it out. I always knew he was a great songwriter, but this show really proves he was on another level. Considering most songs today are done by teams of writers, but this guy would hold up in his room for days and do it all. Chord progression, melody, and lyrics. Even did his own lead sheets. A true genius in my book. Great guitar play and singer too.

Moe

Why don't guitars come with an instruction manual ?

Oh yeah, that's what GuitarTricks is for..

Hi William,

I recently watched a great documentary on Gordon Lightfoot on Amazon prime. If you subscribe you should check it out. I always knew he was a great songwriter, but this show really proves he was on another level. Considering most songs today are done by teams of writers, but this guy would hold up in his room for days and do it all. Chord progression, melody, and lyrics. Even did his own lead sheets. A true genius in my book. Great guitar play and singer too.

Moe

Why don't guitars come with an instruction manual ?

Oh yeah, that's what GuitarTricks is for..

William MG

Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Hi William,

Moe

Thanks Moe, will have a look

Mike O

Works for me!

Hi William,

Moe

Thanks Moe, will have a look

Mike O

Works for me!

craigbrown1805

Full Access

No Sloan? Personally, I took a wrong turn with my development by ditching the Blues module for the acoustic one. I had been going pretty well, getting stuff under my belt but jumping on to the whole new unit just disrupted things: I got bogged down on finger picking, and lost momentum and discipine. I've since returned to the start of the first blues unit and have been refreshing my memory, pushing on and it's come back pretty quickly, and I feel I've got a better grip of it this time, but it was an lesson in itself: jumping around from one lesson to another is counterproductive, time, effort and discipline are the key.

No Sloan? Personally, I took a wrong turn with my development by ditching the Blues module for the acoustic one. I had been going pretty well, getting stuff under my belt but jumping on to the whole new unit just disrupted things: I got bogged down on finger picking, and lost momentum and discipine. I've since returned to the start of the first blues unit and have been refreshing my memory, pushing on and it's come back pretty quickly, and I feel I've got a better grip of it this time, but it was an lesson in itself: jumping around from one lesson to another is counterproductive, time, effort and discipline are the key.

Rumble Walrus

Full Access

Hi William,

Moe

Oh heck yes.

Hi William,

Moe

Oh heck yes.