Learning scales

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > Learning scales

nugentkev

Full Access

I am a beginner learning with Anders Mouridsen and we are learning scales now. My question is why am I learning scales? What is the benefit of practicing scales instead of learning/practicing chords? I am assuming we are learning them for a reason and that they will pay off down the road, just wondering where this is progressing. Thanks

I am a beginner learning with Anders Mouridsen and we are learning scales now. My question is why am I learning scales? What is the benefit of practicing scales instead of learning/practicing chords? I am assuming we are learning them for a reason and that they will pay off down the road, just wondering where this is progressing. Thanks

Guitar Tricks Admin

Full Access

Scales are the building blocks for melodies, and even soloing. Knowing your scales will help you better understand the WHY of guitar. Chords are essentially scale tones all played at the same time. Knowing your chords and scales go hand-in-hand with progressing on guitar.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

Scales are the building blocks for melodies, and even soloing. Knowing your scales will help you better understand the WHY of guitar. Chords are essentially scale tones all played at the same time. Knowing your chords and scales go hand-in-hand with progressing on guitar.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

ChristopherSchlegel

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Originally Posted by: nugentkev
I am a beginner learning with Anders Mouridsen and we are learning scales now. My question is why am I learning scales?

In general, playing scales at a beginner level is good for 2 reasons.

1. Gaining the physical, technical skill of playing single note lines. Isolating one note a time in a linear manner with your fretting & picking is a very specialized skill!

2. Getting used to the sound of the scale to train your ear (aural training) because scales are the fundamental building blocks of music (used to create melodies, licks, riffs, form chords & key signatures).

What is the benefit of practicing scales instead of learning/practicing chords?

You should practice both. Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

I am a beginner learning with Anders Mouridsen and we are learning scales now. My question is why am I learning scales?

In general, playing scales at a beginner level is good for 2 reasons.

1. Gaining the physical, technical skill of playing single note lines. Isolating one note a time in a linear manner with your fretting & picking is a very specialized skill!

2. Getting used to the sound of the scale to train your ear (aural training) because scales are the fundamental building blocks of music (used to create melodies, licks, riffs, form chords & key signatures).

What is the benefit of practicing scales instead of learning/practicing chords?

You should practice both. Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

nugentkev

Full Access

thanks for the comments guys, understanding why will keep me going!

snpfarm

Full Access

I'm no pro like the other guys here. Through 40 years of on again and off again guitar learning/playing I NEVER learned anything about scales until I joined GT. Just by learning the A-Minor pentatonic scale in every position has completely opened my eyes to how leads are formed, riffs are made, etc. I've still got a long way to go in my knwledge of scales but I am amazed at what I have learned in a short period of time with the A-Minor Pentatonic Scale!!

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

I'm no pro like the other guys here. Through 40 years of on again and off again guitar learning/playing I NEVER learned anything about scales until I joined GT. Just by learning the A-Minor pentatonic scale in every position has completely opened my eyes to how leads are formed, riffs are made, etc. I've still got a long way to go in my knwledge of scales but I am amazed at what I have learned in a short period of time with the A-Minor Pentatonic Scale!!

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

ChristopherSchlegel

Guitar Tricks Instructor

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor