guitar movement

Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
01/08/2020 1:35 pm

All,

How does everyone keep the guitar stationary while changing chords? What I mean is when I change chords, the guitar necks move away from my body. Its a small amount at times(and sometimes its a larger movement) but it still affects my playing. Am I holding the body of guitar to tightly? or am I holding the neck incorrectly? I'm sure this is a rookie mistake and an odd question but I am to be more fluid with playing. This seems to slow down my playing.

P.S. I sit when I play and dont use a strap.

Thanks, Jon

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/08/2020 3:27 pm

Use a strap. Always use a strap.

Review the GT lessons that teach posture and position but understand...

...a strap will solve most issues about holding the guitar and will keep the instrument stable.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
01/08/2020 4:30 pm

Thanks John. I appreciate it. I will use strap. Since I am new at straps, what is your preference? One end of strap is by the nut or one end of strap is by the bottom of neck?

# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/08/2020 6:32 pm
Originally Posted by: gogachachi

Thanks John. I appreciate it. I will use strap. Since I am new at straps, what is your preference? One end of strap is by the nut or one end of strap is by the bottom of neck?

At the base of the neck is much better at keeping your guitar where you want it, not somewhere else. It also places less stress on the neck of your guitar.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4
Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
01/08/2020 7:30 pm

Hello Snojones,

Thanks for the reply. I will add a strap button at the base of the neck.

Take care, Jon

# 5
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
01/08/2020 10:49 pm
Originally Posted by: gogachachi

How does everyone keep the guitar stationary while changing chords?

[p]You shouldn't have to.

I'll start with the first obvious thing which came to mind.

What kind of guitar are you using gogachachi? Acoustic or electric, and if acoustic as I suspect, size & body shape?

[br]We come in all shapes and sizes. It could just be that you're using a guitar which is not a physical fit for you.

PS. Edit. I have just now read you reply which should be directly above this post. From the comment I can now reasonably surmise you're referring to an acoustic, and a Dreadnought?

I'm a person of [u]statistically average western male build and height,[/u] and I detest Dreadnoughts for that reason. I'm not an ectomorph, so with my torso and arm length, when held conventionally when sitting I find the huge body of a Dread is just awkwardly uncomfortable fit to hold and which gets in the way of my strumming arm. Adapting hold or position to facilitate that better is still a compromise causing the guitar body and neck to extend just that bit further away again rendering it an awkward fit and stretch [u]for my arm lengths.[/u] Ugh!

I own a Dreadnought BTW, still play it occasionally, and my perspective on them hasn't changed one iota.

The preferred solution for me was and is Concert body acoustics, of which I own two which I play regularly.

[u]On straps[/u]. IME wearing a strap [u]s[/u][u]pecifically to remedy this situation[/u], will assist supporting the guitar neck so that it's not as much of a perpetual struggle to keep it from moving by supporting it with the fretting hand. Regardless using one with a Dread, the body English their bulk imposes is still all wrong [u]for me[/u]. To use an analogy, like an ill-fitting pair of shoes too large on a long hike or a bicycle frame size too large on a MTB trail.

[br]OTOH, if you are experiencing the problem with an electric. Struggling with the neck position doesn't generally occur with solid body electrics IME, except perhaps with neck divers like SGs and LPs, but that's a different situation which a strap [u]will[/u] assist in rectifying as the cause is not awkward body fit, but attributable to poor guitar balance (its centre of gravity).

Analyse to determine what the root cause of [u]your[/u] problem is, and address [u]it[/u]. If the problem is an oversized ill-fitting guitar body, using a strap in attempting to address the problem when sitting will at best be a kludge.

I use a strap only when standing, playing a Les Paul (neck diver) or Dreadnought. I find straps unnecessary for me otherwise and the practice doesn't interfere with [u]me[/u] adapting position between playing whether sitting or standing. That said, I my playing position is very George Harrisonesqe rather than Slash. I'd no sooner attempt to play my guitar absurdly hanging around my (censored word) than I would wear a pair of shredded preholed jeans for equal affectation in order to fit in with or impress peers equally keen to demonstrate characteristics of superficiality and stupid.

In closing, I second the suggestion to review the GT lessons on holding the guitar and posture first to see if there's anything there you should address.

# 6
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
01/08/2020 11:31 pm

Forgive the plug, but anytime there is a discussion of guitar straps I try and inject this into the conversation for consideration.

The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the poorest county in the United States. The conditions there are worse than most 3rd world nations. They are at the top of all lists one dosn't want to top: unemployment, poverty, alcoholism, the list goes on.

Lakota Leathers guitar straps are made by members of the Lakota tribe and provide a small stimulus to those desperately in need. But I wouldn't ask you to purchase one just to help. They are incredibly soft, comfortable straps and come with a lifetime warranty. I have one on every one of my guitars.

I have absolutely no financial interest in or connection to Lakota Leathers. And I love them.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/09/2020 4:45 am

The size of the guitar certainly affects how its held. My acoustic is a dreadnaught and I have/had the same problem described above. I solved that by moving away from the commonly suggested way to hold a guitar and now hold it very similar to the way classical guitarists play.[br] [br]As touched on above, the way a guitar is held changes throughout the years and i've often thought the recommendations were guided by fashion as much as 'proper' position. As late as the Beatles Invasion many guitarists positioned the instruments high up on their chests, e.g., Beatles, Orbison, B.B..

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
01/09/2020 9:43 am

I'll second the good advice given by John of MT "use a strap".

I know plenty of guitarists who use a strap whilst playing sat down, it will massively improve the stability of your guitar and allow you to focus more on the chord changes. As you get better you may decide you don't need the strap as much but I see lots of very competent guitarists using one whilst sat down playing.

# 9
Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
01/09/2020 3:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your reply. I have a dreadnought guitar and I just put a strap on the guitar. It seems to help. I will also be experimenting with other ways of holding guitar. What started all of this is, I am trying to clean up chord changes on up'strum and I am attempting to narrow down issues.That being said, I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences.

Take care, Jon

# 10
Joe105
Joe105
01/09/2020 7:11 pm
Originally Posted by: matonanjin2

Forgive the plug, but anytime there is a discussion of guitar straps I try and inject this into the conversation for consideration.

The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the poorest county in the United States. The conditions there are worse than most 3rd world nations. They are at the top of all lists one dosn't want to top: unemployment, poverty, alcoholism, the list goes on.

Lakota Leathers guitar straps are made by members of the Lakota tribe and provide a small stimulus to those desperately in need. But I wouldn't ask you to purchase one just to help. They are incredibly soft, comfortable straps and come with a lifetime warranty. I have one on every one of my guitars.

I have absolutely no financial interest in or connection to Lakota Leathers. And I love them.

I use a Lakota Leather guitar strap and they are indeed very, very comfortable and very well made. I wouldn't use any other strap.

Joe

# 11
dgregory
dgregory
01/11/2020 7:53 pm

Good news ! I have a brand new product out to help with the runaway guitar situation (guitar slippage). Check out www.GuitarSheath.com for details and how to purchase. If you want to speak with me directly send me an email at don@guitarsheath.com

I plan on putting my sheaths on amazon by the end of the month. I have only 2 available of each size, so please hurry,

Cheers

# 12
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
01/12/2020 12:27 am
Originally Posted by: Joe105

I use a Lakota Leather guitar strap and they are indeed very, very comfortable and very well made. I wouldn't use any other strap.

Joe

The word for "Thank You" in the Lakota language is "pilámaye". So pilámaye for your support, Joe. Every little bit helps these impoverished people.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 13
dgregory
dgregory
01/21/2020 9:22 pm

More more tool for the guitar movement problem is a new product called a guitar sheath. You can find it on line at guitarsheath.com

goodluck !

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.