Practice Schedule for beginners

JustaChord
JustaChord
09/09/2019 2:21 am

Does GT have a downloadable practice schedule in PDF format that beginners can use to manage their practice and progress? If not, does GT have any plans to provide any downloadable forms like this?

Thank you.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
09/09/2019 3:28 am

GC? Did you mean GT? If so;

TMK no.

Good old JG to the rescue again,....if these will work for you?

Second question only GT management can answer.

# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/09/2019 7:19 pm
Originally Posted by: JustaChord

Does GC have a downloadable practive schedule in PDF format that beginners can use to manage their practice and progress? If not, does GC have any plans to provide any downloadable forms like this?

Thank you.

Hi there,

We're definitely thinking about making something like this in the future. We know that this is something that could be super useful. No gaurantees on when this will happen, but this is something we have in mind for the future.

Could you tell us a little bit about how you envision this practice schedule to work? Were you thinking about just a PDF form that you fill out yourself, or something that our instructors give you to practice?

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3
ShakeShakeTune
ShakeShakeTune
09/09/2019 11:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin
Originally Posted by: JustaChord

Does GC have a downloadable practive schedule in PDF format that beginners can use to manage their practice and progress? If not, does GC have any plans to provide any downloadable forms like this?

Thank you.

Hi there,

We're definitely thinking about making something like this in the future. We know that this is something that could be super useful. No gaurantees on when this will happen, but this is something we have in mind for the future.

Could you tell us a little bit about how you envision this practice schedule to work? Were you thinking about just a PDF form that you fill out yourself, or something that our instructors give you to practice?

Best,

Billy

[br][br]It would be super helpful if there is an auto make schedule tool like you have a questionary for user level , number of hours or day to practice , this could or could not include tracking tool for courses , also it could include small assignments for small fee where user have to replicate a track and upload it and could be graded by an instructor, just brainstorming, but the sky is the limit and many would benefit , I think auto generated schedule with the ability to check off items , and give some overall data like practicing hours per week and weekly challenge graded by instructor could be awesome , if its pdf then please no lol[br][br]You can also make leagues for each level and users are having some sort of global ranking in the level depending on assignments and challenges uploaded and graded by the instractor , each week you could add a new challenge, I think this is more of gamification but it works. I like to daydream about featiures and stuff so , thats my Guitartricks 2.0:D[br][br]Some users might not like this but I think the core system should be locked after you decide your initial level , it prevents distractions and user should pass some graded test to unlock next level, this one could be controversial but some might like it , I would

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
09/09/2019 11:47 pm
Originally Posted by: ShakeShakeTune

...weekly challenge graded by instructor could be awesome , if its pdf then please no lol[br][br]You can also make leagues for each level and users are having some sort of global ranking ... [br][br]Some users might not like this but I think the core system should be locked after you decide your initial level ....

[p]

Given the core gist of them, do you not think that this might be a better fit for you and what you're really looking for?

# 5
JustaChord
JustaChord
09/10/2019 3:12 am

In my opinion, beginners need a structured practice routine that provides what to practice, recommended practice patterns to follow and something to measure their progress that shows learning gain.- similar to a pre/post test that measures that knowledge. I believe achieving successful skill building encourages new learners like myself to work towards a goal.

Printable PDF forms would create a foundation for this learning process.

The forms could be PDF fillable to store and print later.

The videos are helpful but learning still comes down to the learner performing those skills.

Some examples are:

chords practice exercises or exercises on chord changing with coaching notations.

People learn in different ways. Some are fortunate to have musical intelligence to acquire these skills faster than others, however there are some, like me, who benefit from structured guidance and direction along the way.

How many just give up because they feel lost in the process? All goals must be attainable and measurable to achieve success.

Some of the videos take too long to get to the learning process itself. Consider combining these lectures into one pep talk episode then get to the learning process and practice routine.

Provide a printable exercise after each lesson for what the lesson will accomplish. This provides a tangible reference to use when off line.

I welcome feedback from GT admin on this topic and feature.

# 6
ShakeShakeTune
ShakeShakeTune
09/10/2019 5:06 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: ShakeShakeTune

...weekly challenge graded by instructor could be awesome , if its pdf then please no lol[br][br]You can also make leagues for each level and users are having some sort of global ranking ... [br][br]Some users might not like this but I think the core system should be locked after you decide your initial level ....

[p]

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/10/2019 3:05 pm

I'm a great believer in structured practice and am a consistent user of lesson plans, i.e., a pre-practice list of things to practice and the time devoted to each. The list is a daily one but usually made up in advance for the following week.

I believe this keeps me on track, enhances my improvement and progression, and keeps me from noodling around during a practice session. When I have 10 minutes planned for something it darn well means ten minutes of fingers on strings. It alll makes for a very efficient practice session.

I believe there are practice forms to be had on the web. There certainly are forms that can be adapted to most any daily/hourly activity. But I make and print my own. They are nothing more than a weekly page broken into separate days with room in each to list whatever is scheduled for practice and the time allotted for it.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
exeareohkay
Full Access
exeareohkay
Full Access
09/17/2019 3:50 am

Matt Warnock has a site that caters to jazz players. He lays out a practice schedule that concentrates more on how to practice than what, specifically, to drill on, though it does touch on that:

Thirty Minute Practice Routine For The Busy Guitarist

Because of the way Matt's routines are laid out, it would be very easy to adapt your GT tutorials into them. For example, his Guitar Practice Routine 1 concentrates on chords and progressions. If you're in GT's core system, you've no doubt had tutorials dealing with chords, progressions, and making smooth changes. Those would be a great way to fill routine 1. Have a look and you'll no doubt see other ways to make this work.

My best--

--Matt

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.