For the easily discouraged...

manXcat
manXcat
09/02/2019 11:54 pm

Noting several posts with an 'I'm discouraged" theme here of late, in recent travels I stumbled upon this.

I urge those of you who are honest enough to self-identify as easily discouraged to watch it in the hope grounding with a reality check will ultimately guide [u]you[/u] to the realisation where the 'encouragment' you [u]need[/u] must come from for encouragement to be anything other than a figurative temporary emotional bandaid or superficial crutch.

No one escapes the need to practise, and this just to maintain the skill.

It's not easy. If it was, everyone would end up a virtuoso, and in no time at all.

The core message is,[u] it's up to you[/u]. No one else can do it for you. Wishing won't get you there. Money won't get you there. All the intelligence or natural talent in the world won't get you there without .....[u]putting in the work[/u]. Disciplined application, persistence and determination are the keys.

To fuel them, ask yourself this - and answer yourself honestly because no one else is actually listening, or, another 'harsh' reality check -even cares. So answering otherwise than with a deep down gut instinctive honesty, the only one you are cheating is yourself.

How much do you REALLY want to play guitar? Do you truly really [u]enjoy[/u] playing the instrument, all of it including the challenges, frustrations, the learning and light bulb moments? Or are you just caught up in the romantic notion and imagery of it all?

[br]The first will carry you through the rough patches and plateaus without a damaged self image or distorted negative perspective in place of mere awareness of the temporary obstacle. The other, you're carrying the load, and it'll get intolerably burdomsome pretty quick as some of you have already iterated.

I can think of all manner of pursuits where a person needs to be deeply motivated from the inside -for whatever reason it is for them, to want to pursue a challenging activity to the point they will persist regardless of how tough the going gets. In truth, in those kind of pursuits, which include guitar, IMLE [u]you're[/u] the only person who can do that for [u]you[/u].

I'll close with a short analogy. In my career as an aviation professional starting out as a self-funded self-starter flying gliders as a lad aged 16 through to its close as an airline Captain (retired) having traversed pretty much every hill, valley and figurative rocky crag in the elongated path of that journey, if I had a dollar for every person in my life who has said to me at one time or another, "I wish I [u]could have[/u] been a (air) pilot, .....but (insert self-rationalising excuse here)" why [u]they chose[/u] to disappoint themselves, I'd be a literal millionaire. Those with a precluding impairment excepted, my answer is and has always been the same. "[u]Wishing[/u] won't get you there".

# 1
jlew523
Full Access
jlew523
Full Access
09/03/2019 1:44 am

Amen!...I've been at it for 7 months now, and I know that it's a marathon, not a sprint. You gotta put the work in.

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/03/2019 5:38 pm

Let me add this to manX's excellent post; embrace lifelong learning of the guitar. Some master of the instrument you always dreamed that; 'if only I could play as well as so-and-so'....Well that amazing guitar player is listening to another guitar player or style right now and thinking to themself 'Man, if I could just play that!'

The great players always want to learn. Starting from the embrace of challenges from the start. It's easy to say 'embrace it' since guitar players sort of assume this to be true. Part of embracing guitar learning is knowing that there are times where it's not easy. Embrace that part. The hard part.

Embracing it doesn't exactly make it easier but it does make those challenges more fun..and that's the point.

# 3
K-rad
K-rad
09/04/2019 2:28 am

I am finding this forum really helpful. I’d add that for me, as an adult I was really blocked from learning because my mindset was of the ‘fixed mindset’ and I had to learn and adapt to a ‘growth mindset.

[br]I made a huge 180 career change in my late 30s and a big part of my struggle was learning how I learn and figuring out that my biggest struggles were mostly dealing with feelings of frustration. I found community really helps me.

# 4
Simon Keyes
Simon Keyes
09/04/2019 11:23 am

when i was 10 [1980] i asked my parents for a guitar.

i was mesmerized by ACDC, SRV, KISS, Iron Maiden but especially Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow. It pieerced my soul.

Of course it was expensive to learn in the 80's and 90's and I parked it.

It ate away at me though. I always resented being unable to play and I had an unnerving desire to learn.

But my fear of not being able to play started to overcome my desire to play which was my excuse.

Until 5 months or so ago. I found Guitar Tricks, bought a guitar and am on the long journey.

I'm 50 in December and heartbroken I didn't follow my soul at the age of 10.

Let's see what happens but if it's in you it will stay with you.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2019 12:17 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcatNoting several posts with an 'I'm discouraged" theme here of late, in recent travels I stumbled upon this.

Before I clicked the link, the first thing I thought of when i read this was that Tommy Emmanuel interview video in which he talks about practicing for a few hours. :)

Thanks for taking the time to make that post, manXcat. It can't be said too many times, there is simply no substitute for time logged. Repetitious practice is the only currency in the land of competence.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
Keith Altazin
Keith Altazin
09/04/2019 8:22 pm

Thanks manXcat, great post. I decided at the very young age of 62 to learn to play guitar. I had a guitar when I was a kid and I banged around on it but I was involved in sports and I got no encouragement from my parents to pursue the guitar, so 50 years passed by. I'm not sorry for not learning guitar years ago, that's just wasted energy and feeling sorry won't change the fact. As an older beginner I have struggled with some of the more elementary aspects of playing. I get frustrated on a regular basis. However, when I get those feelings I simply put my guitar away for a while, and get my mind off of what ever it is that's causing my frustration. Later on or maybe the next day I pick up my gutiar as get back at it. I find that this "method" allows me to recharge and refocus. It's amazing (at least for me) how much progess I make when I'm not feeling sorry for myself or frustrated.

# 7
manXcat
manXcat
09/04/2019 10:09 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Thanks for taking the time to make that post, manXcat. It can't be said too many times, there is simply no substitute for time logged. Repetitious practice is the only currency in the land of competence.

Thank you Christopher. I see those qualities evident in your demonstrated skill, and discern the soul felt sincere love for the instrument and mystery which is music fueling an inherent generosity in your every contribution here including your comprehensive detailed tutorials, all of which is greatly respected, admired, appreciated, but most of all [u]enjoyed[/u] by me and I'm sure, many equally appreciative others.

Cheers,

ManX

# 8
manXcat
manXcat
09/04/2019 11:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Keith Altazin

I'm not sorry for not learning guitar years ago, that's just wasted energy and feeling sorry won't change the fact.

[p]

Thank you Keith. I'm pleased there was something in it for you.

[br]The part of your post I have quoted above closely echos my own pragmatic perspective, with the following amendment as applicable to my own case.

Given 20:20 hindsight, [u]I do[/u] regret not having [u]additionally[/u] continued pursuit of guitar, but don't dwell upon that which might have been which can't be altered, concurring with you it a misdirection and waste of remaining energy [u]now[/u].

Of course, wisdom knows that had I done so, other life adventures I've been privileged to enjoy would have had to have been been sacrificed in lieu. "One can do most anything one wants to, just not everything one wants to", although I'll keep trying my utmost to prove that idiom erroneous!

At the time [u]I chose[/u] to engage in other ' take no prisoners' career pursuits triaged a higher priority which would brook no diversion of attention from focus upon the primary objective if one wanted to not be culled from the crop with its tough 65% scrub rate. Tempus fugit as you'll recognise all too well, and here we are. Being late to the party though isn't going to inhibit my enjoying to the fullest what remains of it, even though I'm realistic about my 'remaining fuel available' and its probable furtherest destination achievable envelope potentially reachable within that endurance/range envelope.

I'm grateful I have the opportunity now. TBH offered with humility, I constantly surprise myself, gobsmacked at my unexpected rate of progress so far. Even the seemingly initially difficult seems to transform itself to 'that wasn't so hard' quite quickly because I truly enjoy every aspect of playing and learning the guitar and exploring music. Admittedly, it has replaced other mentally stimulating dynamic activities challenged by encroaching years surrendered to common sense such as riding motorcycles, gliding and all the effort it involves and mountain biking in acknowledgement that the consequences of slower reflexes or reduced sitational awareness with guitar might be as 'severe' as breaking a string, snapping the tip off a celluoid pick or breaking a fingernail. OTOH, bones don't heal so easily at our age, and having enjoyed a better than fair innings with more than my share of Lady Luck travelling with me, not pushing her and declaring my innings now however reluctantly seems the sage thing.

In closing that page, starting out 100% committed to not surrendering within a two years attempt and review with just the purchase of a single guitar, I've been unable to help myself from becoming totally immersed in learning and playing the instrument, inarguably to a point of obsessive which has yet to encounter an enthusiasim reduction plateau. Again acknowledging, [u]luckily[/u], but[u] most importantly. [/u]I have my (best friend of 44 years) beautiful wife's support and encouragement 100%.

[br]Wishing you all the best on your own journey.

[br]manX

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.