Theory

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
07/10/2001 9:10 am
Ok guys sorry but for maybe the next few days im gonna try and get deep into theory from beggining to end. Ill be posting follow up quistions so I hope some of u can and will help me, for starts my guitar teacher gave me the class tab Always with me, Always with you, by Satriani, he wrote it one way and I dont know if the other way is in the song too but it goes like this

1| repeat twice
2|
3|---------7------------------0---------------4--------
4|------11---11----------4---4-----------4---4------
5|-----9-------9---------2-------2-------4-------4----
6|---7-----------7-----0-----------0---2--------------

Now he said this is in B minor, can u guys tell me why its in B minor and not jsut in the key of B? I picked up a book and its kinda hard to make everything kinda "click" but it says somthing like

[Major] |--# Sharp--> [Augmented] <--# Sharp--| [Perfect]
----\
-----\
add a flat note from a major chord/scale? and it becomes minor? is that why its in b minor?

so bassicly add a sharp to a major and its a Augmented [what is that anyway, and whats a perfect?] etc. etc.

Please let me know if im on the right track, or whatever, or if this is too experianced for me yet, Im only 15 and been playing for 2-3 years
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/10/2001 8:20 pm

Well, first of all, that first chord is a Bm add9. The minor 3rd makes it a minor chord. If it was B major it would have a D# instead of just a D.

It sounds like you're talking about intervals with all that augmented/perfect stuff. But that doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not a chord is major or minor.

If you have a major triad, 1,3,5, you flat the 3rd to make it minor.

As for the scales, the minor scale is built upon the 6th note of the major scale. If you go to the 6th note of the scale and count up the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes from the sixth you will have a minor triad. This is just another way of flatting the 3rd of a major triad . . . or just another way of thinking about it anyway.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.