Double Stops and Hammer ons

Ianelrick
Ianelrick
04/08/2022 8:36 pm

Hi

Can anyone point me to a tutorial that gives a slowish example of how to play these? Just want to check I am doing it correctly in terms of order? esp the one with the ghost note. Is that just fretting G/B strings at 3rd fret then immediately picking both strings while hammering onto 5th fret on G ?

What is difference in technique between the first hammer on cliche and the last one?

Thanks in advance

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/09/2022 2:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Ianelrick

Can anyone point me to a tutorial that gives a slowish example of how to play these?

esp the one with the ghost note. Is that just fretting G/B strings at 3rd fret then immediately picking both strings while hammering onto 5th fret on G ?

[/quote]

The first hammer-on lick is called a grace note. I do a bunch of them in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=17456

The idea is to hammer-on very quickly from 3. So you have the right idea. Start with your index finger barring the 3rd fret & hammer-on the 5th fret as soon as you strike the strings. The idea behind a grace note is to happen so quickly that it's just a tiny embellishment, but rhythmically so short in time value that it's not even notated as a different subdivsion.

[quote=Ianelrick]

What is difference in technique between the first hammer on cliche and the last one?

The second hammer-on lick is the same type of physical motion, but happens more slowly. Since there is a 1/16th note subdivision the intention is to clearly hear the first diad, then the hammer-on after a 1/16th note time passes.

This is a small distinction to be sure! But the only difference between these 2 licks is the amount of time that passes.

1st lick is a very quick hammer-on. As fast a possible while still clearly articulating it. 2nd lick is a little slower, more deliberately separated in time.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Ianelrick
Ianelrick
04/10/2022 10:58 pm

Many thanks. Had a real brain lapse as I have done these before. Totally forgot.

Note to self study the music AND the tab.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2022 11:11 am
Originally Posted by: Ianelrick

Many thanks. Had a real brain lapse as I have done these before. Totally forgot.

Note to self study the music AND the tab.

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
raziyeh.ameri5267
raziyeh.ameri5267
07/15/2022 6:37 am

This musical seesawing can in theory go on indefinitely, as long as you can keep up sustain and volume (easier on electric guitar than acoustic) A rapid such series of hammer-ons and pull-offs between a single pair of notes is called a trill.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.