Beginner question on 9th chords

rakbeatz2030
rakbeatz2030
02/18/2020 4:28 pm

Hi im currently having a difficulty playing a 9th chord as shown in this lesson

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=14463&s_id=943

the high e string gets muted and its hard to fret the highest 4 strings with one finger

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2020 5:51 pm
Originally Posted by: rakbeatz2030

Hi im currently having a difficulty playing a 9th chord as shown in this lesson

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=14463&s_id=943

the high e string gets muted and its hard to fret the highest 4 strings with one finger

That's a dom 7th chord voicing with the thumb. It's not necessary to use. You can just use the regular barred dom 7 voicing. But if you want to get your thumb in the act it's best to just focus on your thumb & index finger.

Start by placing your index finger so the inside of your knuckle is resting near the edge of the neck near the high E string. You really have to use that natural bend in your index finger to the most advantage. That's going to make it easier to fret all 4 notes. once you get that right, then add your thumb.

Note that Anders is using a Tele with a pretty narrow, slim neck. If your guitar has too wide or big a neck you might be fighting a losing battle. I have guitars I can do thumb voicings like this. And I have other guitars that are practically impossible for me to use with my thumb over! What kind of guitar are you using? I don't want to get you thinking of blaming your equipment for lack of practice. :) But in extreme, unusual situations like this it really can make all the difference.

Your original post said dom 9th chord. The next lesson is on the dom 9th chord. So if you're also having trouble with that.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=14464&s_id=943

The trick there is to start with your ring finger. You have to get it to bend backward to flat flat on the top 3 strings! Then add the index on the D string. Just get used to that much. Eventually when it starts to get solid add your middle finger on the A string.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
03/04/2020 10:29 pm

No expert here, but in case this helps with the dom 9 chord, I use my pinkie to Barre the top two strings, my ring finger for the 3rd string and the other 2 are self explanatory. I find it super hard to Barre 3 strings with my wonky ring finger (or any finger other than my index, really). Good ol' pinkie!

# 3
danharrison
Full Access
danharrison
Full Access
03/05/2020 5:06 am

I recently learned to play this chord. I find the ring finger very slightly on it’s side barring the E, B, and G strings, and the second finger on the A string. This leaves a little hole for the D string to ring through. The first finger then presses on the D string.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.