Beginner Question about Finger Picking

Dad-Of-Three
Dad-Of-Three
10/16/2019 2:10 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm a beginner, about 6 months in. I've been doing well and started off learning with a traditional pick. But after reviewing some instructional videos on finger picking, I decided to transition to a thumb pick, and now that feels pretty good. My long-term goals are to learn finger picking as I really like the sound.

Here's my question.

Since I'd like to learn finger picking someday, should I start with some of the basic finger picking techniques to build muscle memory in my right hand? I was thinking of continuing my lessons, (through various resources including Guitar Tricks) but instead of finding the strings with a pick, I'd use the finger picking ideas to assign a finger to each string.

I tried a bit over the last few days and basic beginner songs that I could play well, are much harder because I’m not used to assigning each finger to a string. But, I’m ok with pushing through and practicing, but I’m just wondering if going down this road will hurt my progress, or if this is a decent idea.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.[br] [br] I hope my question makes sense; I had a hard time putting my thoughts into words on this one.

[br] Rick

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/16/2019 5:58 pm

Hi there,

If you want to learn finger picking, I think it's important to start learning with finger picking lessons. that makes the most sense, right?

If you're new to guitar, you may have to brush up on fundamental techniques and other essential elements of playing first. You can always jump into our Fundamentals course here: https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

If you feel confident in your basic playing, you can jump into finger picking lessons here: https://www.guitartricks.com/style.php?input=acoustic

Also, some songs were not created with fingerpicking in mind, so if you're trying to fingerpick a song that is usually strummed with a pick, it may be difficult. I hope this helps!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.