View post (solos)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
02/10/2001 2:25 am
The most important thing is to play how you feel, by using your ears as a guide as to what sounds right and what sounds wrong, sometimes you just have to be willing to go with whatever emotion and music comes to you. As the years progress, I think its safe to say that most of us have the same intentions when writing a solo,:eek: We all try our best to transport the music we hear inside our head onto the fretboard. A good example of working around changes is Jimmy Pages solo on "Stairway To Heaven", this solo was written very impulsively, (unselfconsciously), but to alot of people its considered to the greatest solo ever written. Page bases his melodic ideas primarily on the A minor scale (ACDEG), but he specifically targets the F note (which is not included.) Theres just something about that one note that makes it work, and I can't think of it sounding any other way. Believe me once you larn this solo in its entirety, theres no turning back and you'll never look at the guitar the same.

In other words, if you hear some out notes in the song (in your head), fit them in, they just might be the magic notes.

-Joseph, :)
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."