Teaching question

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
03/06/2004 9:36 pm
I'm going to start teaching the guitar. What's a fair rate (hourly)?
# 1
Death55
Death55
03/06/2004 10:14 pm
About £16 - £17
I'm not sure what that is in dollars.. cant be bothered to work it out :p
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
03/06/2004 11:09 pm
20 dollars an hour sounds reasonable
# 3
basics
basics
03/07/2004 6:19 am
15 canadian a half hour is standard for a teaching organization, company. i charged 10/half hour for beginners in my home town.
# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/07/2004 7:03 am
I know it's possible to get lessons for $12 per hour, but it's unrealistic for anyone to expect to pay that low since it's not exactly common. Basics is right for what one would normally see charged, but I have seen higher than that.

If I gave lessons I would probably charge something like three bucks per half hour session, but that's for a few reasons. First reason, I love doing it. Second, I'm not as skilled as most instructors are so it wouldn't be right charging as much. Third, I wouldn't pay as much as is normally charged for lessons so I can't expect anyone else to, and last, my social skills are ****.

there's a reason we have swear filters here... please don't try to evade them. Thanks. - eggman
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
03/08/2004 12:57 am
Originally posted by Hammurabi
I know it's possible to get lessons for $12 per hour, but it's unrealistic for anyone to expect to pay that low since it's not exactly common. Basics is right for what one would normally see charged, but I have seen higher than that.

If I gave lessons I would probably charge something like three bucks per half hour session, but that's for a few reasons. First reason, I love doing it. Second, I'm not as skilled as most instructors are so it wouldn't be right charging as much. Third, I wouldn't pay as much as is normally charged for lessons so I can't expect anyone else to, and last, my social skills are ****.

You shouldn't undersell yourself. For example, think about if you saw a guitar in a shop for $10, and one for $100. Before trying either of them out, your first instinct (at least, most people) would be to get the $100 guitar, since you'd figure "whoever heard of a decent guitar for $10?"

Same with lessons. Most people would wonder what was wrong with you for $3 a half hour. But if you charge a little more, say, $10/half hour, then it seems like a real bargain.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.