Those who are neglected....

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
02/16/2004 6:15 am
Okay, my knowledge of virtuoso guitarists is quite extensive. However, I know little about amazing bassists or drummers.

Thus, the purpose of this thread is to expose ourselves to great bassists & drummers (the rest of the rythme section...lol). There are some awesome bassists and drummers out there who are as good as their guitar counterparts.

Bassists:

Stu Hamm - has worked with Satriani many times. Incredible slap technique, amazing solo/tapping ability. Great bassist all around.

Victor Wooten - arguably the best bassist ever, bar none. This guy can PLAY. He literally approaches the bass like a guitar, performing artificial harmonics, arpeggios, and other techniques with slap and finger-plucking. If you're into bass at all, his material is a necessity. Go listen to him NOW.

Jaco Pastorius - ahh, the late Jaco. He had a swelled head and I don't see what people thought was so great about him (from what I've heard), but he was a decent bassist nevertheless and worthwhile checking out.

Drummers:

Dennis Chambers -a MONSTER...this drummer has performed in various projects and clinics (I've had the pleasure of seeing him live). Amazing technique, ideas, etc.

Tony Royster Junior. -I have a clip of this kid (yes, just a kid, like 9 or 10 yrs old at the time the clip was filmed) and he could outplay and outperform the most talented drummers (i.e. in the same league as Dennis Chambers). Go download the clip of this kid (now an adult probably) from Kazaa or something.

Virgil Donati -another great drummer, check him out

Please feel free to add to this list everyone. My own knowledge of virtuoso drummers/bassists is very limited and I'd like to learn of more talented musicians.

# 1
bitterblues01
bitterblues01
02/16/2004 6:49 am
I liked Cliff burton from Metallica. He was pretty kool as a bassit.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see
# 2
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
02/16/2004 6:54 am
Cliff Burton was over-rated. I explicitly am interested in virtuosos and he wouldn't fall under that category. Regardless, when the only other bassist one can compare Burton to is Jason Newstead (and that new dork from St. Anger), Burton certainly looks more appealing.
# 3
Inisfail
Inisfail
02/16/2004 7:43 am
Bassists:

Dave LaRue - Played in the Dixie Dregs and the Steve Morse Band. Really good player.

John Myung - Dream Theater bassist. Really takes it to the limits..

David Ellefson - Megadeth.

Drummers:

Don't know any drummers.. Well, my own. Martin FridƩn. Talanted guy..
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 4
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/16/2004 8:07 am
Bassists:
Bill (Buddah) Dickens - this guy is EXTREME
Victor Wooten
Jaco Pastorius
Tony Levin
Steve Bailey

Drums:
Terry Bozzio
Simon Philips
Greg Bisonette (Sp?)

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 5
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
02/16/2004 10:13 am
bassists
Stu Hamm - best checked out on his 'Radio free Albemuth' - his covers of 2 classical pieces are well tasty

Victor Wooten - top man, but best heard on Flecktones albums rather than his solo stuff

Mark King - I'd recommened a decent Level 42 compilation. amazing speedy thumb technique

Larry Graham - the man who invented slap bass. Cut his teeth with Sly and the Family Stone but I reckon his best stuff was with Graham Central Station. Check out the recent anthology. Amazing chops.

Stanley Clarke - I rate him higher than Jaco.the grandaddy of bass virtuosity. 'School days' is the classic album and the title track's his most famous piece. Check out the long version on 'Live at the Greek'.

there's a guy called Dan Glenn who's done a lot of session work. Not sure what id recommend. Same for Bill Dickens.

Drummers - i play drums myself and get more inpiration from jazz and fusion players rather than rock players. Dennis Chambers certainly features in my top 10. Others you chould check out are
Jack de Johnette
Omar Hakim
Lenny White and Tony Williams - check out their work with 'Return to Forever ' for the unitiated this was probably the first supergroup - Ali Meola, Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke.
Billy Cobham - one of the few drummers who are band leaders. 'Spectrum's his best album but 'Anthology' is also essential for serious drummers as is 'Live at the Greek' with Stanley Clarke and Larry Carlton.

# 6
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
02/16/2004 3:24 pm
I agree... stu Hamm and Victor Wooten both own.

If you want to hear some real nice Wooten stuff... listen to bella fleck and DOWNLOAD his song CLASSICAL THUMP.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 7
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
02/16/2004 7:25 pm
Wasnt Billy Sheehan (SP?) a good bassist player?
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 8
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/16/2004 10:55 pm
Umm that bassist from the Eagles....
And I always thought Flea was pretty cool with that slap stuff, though I'm not a big fan of him..... Jaco is alrite...

Rico starr? no I'm just kiddin.... I don't listen to much of drums.... I just like how they make the song feel better....
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 9
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
02/17/2004 4:32 am
Billy Sheehan kicks ass...
Of course Stu Hamm is about the only other one I like. I went through one of his videos and he was just freaking amazing.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 10
b_hoves
b_hoves
02/18/2004 1:47 am
Originally posted by Rrhoads154
[B]Umm that bassist from the Eagles....
And I always thought Flea was pretty cool with that slap stuff, though I'm not a big fan of him..... [B]

Timothy B. Schmit is the bassist from the eagles, and I also like flea, I think he adds a real groove to the RHCP sound.
# 11
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
02/18/2004 9:35 am
Originally posted by PonyOne
Both Les Claypool (who is somewhat celebrated), bassist/lead singer of Primus, and Primus' drummer, Brain (Brian Montoya [sp?]), are really freaking awesome.

Good call. Dont know why I forget Claypool. Also I rate Stephen Perkins of Jane's Addiction as a quality drummer.
# 12
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/18/2004 4:11 pm
Dave Weckl (drummmer) does the whole poly-rhythmic thing very well.
Roscoe Beck (bassist) Big session player. Also plays in Robben fords and Eric Johnsons' bands.
# 13
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/18/2004 10:10 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
Dave Weckl (drummmer) does the whole poly-rhythmic thing very well.
Roscoe Beck (bassist) Big session player. Also plays in Robben fords and Eric Johnsons' bands.

I mentioned Dave Weckl in another thread long ago, and no one said anything about him.

He's an amazing drummer.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 14
u10ajf
u10ajf
02/18/2004 10:31 pm
Bassists:
Stu Hamm, Mark King (Buy his solo album, "the Essential", it's a totally demoralising head ****, he slaps faster than anyone I've ever heard, even stu.), Mark White (Spin Doctors, if you've only heard "Two Princes" you have no idea how talented those guys have been - I recommend particularly early livestuff like Homebelly Groove), Les Claypool (Primus), Geddy Lee (Rush - particularly early 80s stuff) and John Myung (Dream Theater).

Drummers:
Is it really true that nobody's mentioned Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) or Neil Peart (Rush)? Shame on you! Audun Kleive (Plays with Terje Rypdal) is a great jazz drummer, tasteful, polyrhythmic virtuoso.. Aaron Comes (Spin Doctors, responsible for several of the most awesomely slick and cool drum patterns ever), Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson, Allan Holdsworth) - terrifyingly gifted.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 15
Tank_Simmons
Tank_Simmons
02/20/2004 5:24 pm
Bassists:

Victor Wooten - amazing. Saw him play once....jaw on floor.

Flea - I love this guy. He smacks that bass like it tried to steal his wallet. Plus, nothing is funnier than seeing him live and watching him in Spiderman underoos jumping all over the place, which is disturbing, but funny. He's also very underrated as a bassist, at least in my opinion.

Kip Winger - Just kiddin....lol....almost had you!!

Drummers:

Carter Beauford - Nothing spectacular about him, just very solid.

Peter Cris - KISS baby!!! He's the man.

Tommy Lee - Anyone who can play drums while being rotated like a rotissere chicken has my vote.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Ted Bundy
Ted Bundy who?
Let me in, meat
No!!!!
I mean....Hi, it's Santa Claus
Yay!....Santa!
# 16
firemelody
firemelody
02/21/2004 4:33 am
Well as far as drummers go I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned Danny Carey of Tool yet. He's actually been voted one of the best drummers in the world in Modern Drummer like 3 times. Check out any of his stuff from Tool or Pigmy Love Circus and you'll be amazed... the guy is incredible. Just my 2 cents ;)
~When it's dark enough, you can see the stars~
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.