"Overwhelmed beginner" needs help choosing pickups for my yamaha strat...

gdptay
gdptay
01/18/2001 12:22 am
decided to upgrade my PAC112 pickups S-S-H(weak)i thought if i got the same pickups as the standard fender fat strat(same configuration)i would have the same setup (pickups) as the most sought after strat sound.Isn't Fender the most popular
strat?i priced fender then went to price dimarzio to see if i could save some money but could not tell what dimarzio copy of these pickups (fender) were.anyone know or know where there is a conversion chart for any brand and fender pickups?any suggestions on pickups are welcome.is there a site that has an audio on there pickups so i can compare sound?that was asking to much wasn't it?

i might as well get new strings,mine are factory originals.Is there really any difference in strings?any suggestions on strings to match new pickups? I'm all ears.

where can i get the best price?

thanks
gdptay

# 1
JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
01/18/2001 1:49 am
Pickups are pretty much personal preference, you can use just about any electric pickup in any electric guitar, you may need to do a little body work to make them fit, or replace the pickguard and whatnot. Just make sure the pickups arent unbalanced, as this can cause some problems with output. and if your going for like SSS or HSH you gotta make sure that the neck and bridge pickup are matched so they hum cancel when you switch the NM and MB on in pairs. what else, oh yeah, if you like distortion, go with a high output pickup in your bridge position. Ive heard of pickups nicknamed "MOther Buckers" anyone else know anything about those?

It also comes down to personal preference and what kind of sound you are going for. Some pickups are made to rock hard, like active pickups like EMG's or SD Hotrails, and some are made to groove and blues with.

hope that helps... latah
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
# 2
Elmo45
Elmo45
01/18/2001 2:04 am
What kinda music to you play?
# 3
gdptay
gdptay
01/18/2001 4:17 am
Originally posted by Elmo45
What kinda music to you play?

hi elmo,

i want to be able to play AC/DC,korn,zombie,green day,
especially and then your regular rock n roll stuff.i'm probably going to need a little effects help for some of my choices. if you have any suggestions i'm all ears.maybe i won't have to change pickups if i use certain effects.what they would be i have no idea.

thanks
gdptay
# 4
Elmo45
Elmo45
01/18/2001 4:34 am
Go to http://www.seymourduncan.com and check out the JB series humbuckers(that fit in single coil routes!) They also have a place there where you can e-mail them with your question also. Ask them about matching the bridge humbucker too.
I personally like the Lace Sensor pickups myself but I still don't think they'll get the tones your looking for.
I'll check and see other websites for you in a bit.
# 5
Guitar_man_158
Guitar_man_158
01/19/2001 3:07 am
DUDE SINCE U WANNA PLAY STUFF LIKE AC/DC AND KORN HEAVY METAL STUFF LIKE THAT I WOULD CHOOSE GEORGE LYNCH'S SCREAMIN DEAMON HUMBUCKERS THEY ARE THE BEST PICKUPS FOR THAT KINDA MUSIC. I HAVE SOME IN MY 1968 GIBSON LES PAUL AND ONE OF THEM IN MY 80'S KRAMER AND WHEN I PUT ONE IN MY KRAMER IT SOUNDS LIKE EDDIE VAN HALENS TONE. SO I WOULD CHOOSE SCREAMIN DEMONS BUT HEY DUDE ITS YOUR CHOICE. ROCK ON DUDE
QUINTON FINCH
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.