View post (Changing Cords Faster)

View thread

innocci
innocci
08/16/2023 6:34 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: gstacho28

I am about 6 months in, and just finished GF 1.  I still cant change cords fast enough when playing songs. I have a few songs I am working on that are basic. Wish you were Here, Ripple, Knocking on Heavens door. How much time each day should I put into just cord changes? Normal practice about 30-45 min a day. I have been practicing about 5-6 days a week.  Also, should I hold on GF 2 until I master basic cord changes fast enough to play these songs? thanks

What I used to do years ago, was to leave my strumming hand completely out of it and just practice transitioning between two chords continuously. this really helped with smooth and quick transitions. Playing a chord and strumming once, then moving to the next chord and strumming once probably won't speed up correcting the challenge you're having. Strumming the chord each time you fret isn't going to help with a quicker transition. Practice moving between those two chords, until you can get it smooth, and then bring in the strumming. Most of us have had these same challenges, you'll get it my friend.