View post (Korg PXR-4 Pandora)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/14/2003 4:09 pm
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman
So what does all this mean with regards to sound quality? Dr Simon said that it's not ideal for recording end-product tracks, but is he just picky? ;) Well, actually, I'm pretty picky myself!

It's very capable of producing good sound quality. But like the Doc said, it's not good enough for professional end recordings. Good for getting ideas out and some arranging though.

If this is better than tape recording or MiniDisc, it's good enough for demos, I guess, especially with multitracking capabilities.

Quality is an issue at 32khz but also it's the amount of tracks that can be recording. 4 tracks is hardly enough to produce a good demo, especially with drums. For a good recording each drum and cymbal needs to have it's own track. That would be way more than 4 plus you have vocals, vocal dub, backing vocals, and your intruments. To get a good recording nowadays it takes about 12-16 tracks minimum.

Trendkilla-

Maybe I'm reading you wrong but sample rate and bit rate are not the same. Mp3 and cd audio both have a sampling rate of 44.1khz. There is audio that is less or more, but listen to something at 22050khz and the cymbals and high ends sound cheesy. When it comes to recording hardware 44.1khz is just the range of frequency that piece of equipment can record at. Meaning it can't record any frequency above 44.1khz. If you have a EQ you can boost or cut that frequency. Bit-rate is the amount of information in that audio. This is where your perpetual difference is between PCM and MP3's are. Not sampling rate.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 07-14-2003 at 11:12 AM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.