Middle finger causing me problems with C major

wharnum
wharnum
03/25/2023 12:08 pm

So I started a couple months ago and have moved along fairly well I guess but now have an issue which is not allowing me to move on.The tip of my middle finger has a slight turn towards my little finger.When I play C major I'm constantly touching the string below.If I really take my time and set up I'm ok but as soon as I try to move between cords that perfect placing is gone.I don't know if I should just move on and deal with it along the way or deal with it now before it becomes a bad habit that is harder to deal with.I've tried moving my thumb down the back and do finger exercises on the fret board but nothing has really helped..

# 1
wharnum
wharnum
03/31/2023 4:18 pm

Thanks for the feed back.I'm actually seeing someone next week!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2023 9:37 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: wharnum

So I started a couple months ago and have moved along fairly well I guess but now have an issue which is not allowing me to move on.The tip of my middle finger has a slight turn towards my little finger.When I play C major I'm constantly touching the string below.If I really take my time and set up I'm ok but as soon as I try to move between cords that perfect placing is gone.I don't know if I should just move on and deal with it along the way or deal with it now before it becomes a bad habit that is harder to deal with.I've tried moving my thumb down the back and do finger exercises on the fret board but nothing has really helped..

It's a good idea to have your finger looked at by a medical professional (primary doc, physical or occupational therapist).

But it's also possible that you just need a guitar with wider string spacing.  What kind of guitar are you playing?  You might try another guitar; a friend's guitar, a couple at your local music store, to see if it helps your problem.

And of course it's possible you just need more practice at figuring out how to place your middle finger so it doesn't interfere.

I'd say try some other guitars.  Also, make separate time to work on that C chord, but don't let it stop you from just plowing ahead with strumming or learning songs even if your C chord doesn't sound perfect every time.  Learning guitar is a constant process of refinement, getting good enough, then playing, then getting a little better & playing more.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.