fingerpicking and travis picking

ccranko
ccranko
03/03/2023 9:56 pm

Hi,

I've been methodically working through the blues and acoustic style courses.  getting a bit bored and looking for more focused lessons on fingerpicking pieces in the 1-4 position.  I can read music and find it difficult and slow learning by the visual method of being told to put this finger here, that finger there etc....can anyone direct me to more focused lessons on fingerpicking that include reading music up to the 4th bar?

with thanks Cath

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/07/2023 8:20 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: ccranko

Hi,

I've been methodically working through the blues and acoustic style courses.  getting a bit bored and looking for more focused lessons on fingerpicking pieces in the 1-4 position.  I can read music and find it difficult and slow learning by the visual method of being told to put this finger here, that finger there etc....can anyone direct me to more focused lessons on fingerpicking that include reading music up to the 4th bar?

with thanks Cath

Hey Cath!

Try Acoustic Level 2: Chapter 1 - https://www.guitartricks.com/course/acoustic2

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
janettabloomquist
janettabloomquist
03/10/2023 10:24 am

Yes, I can certainly help you with that! Here are some suggestions for more focused lessons on fingerpicking in the 1-4 position that also include reading music: Check out the book "Fingerpicking Guitar Bible" by Hal Leonard. This book includes a wide variety of fingerpicking styles and techniques, and also includes standard notation and tablature for all the exercises and pieces. Visit the website "Classical Guitar Shed" (classicalguitarshed.com). This website is focused specifically on fingerstyle guitar playing and includes a wealth of resources for players of all levels, including lessons, exercises, and sheet music. Consider taking lessons with a qualified guitar teacher who specializes in fingerpicking. A teacher can work with you one-on-one to help you develop your skills and give you personalized feedback on your playing. Look for sheet music and instructional materials specifically focused on fingerpicking in the 1-4 position. Websites like musicnotes.com and sheetmusicplus.com offer a wide selection of sheet music for all levels of guitar players. I hope these suggestions are helpful and that you find some resources that work well for you as you continue to develop your fingerpicking skills. 

edited
# 3
sbutle1
sbutle1
08/09/2023 5:04 am

Even though your hands perform completely different movements when playing the guitar, they still follow the same principles of action of the hand muscles. You need to minimize the muscle tension of the left hand as you did for the right hand. Since in the previous stage you focused on training your right hand, you may have a tendency to overemphasize this hand while playing. If not corrected, this can create detrimental strain on your left hand.
To eliminate this unfavorable possibility, you should again check the posture of your hands. Pay attention to common mistakes .
as follows:
Is the headboard too low?
Is the headboard too far away?
Is the body too low?

edited
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.