Amplifiers

sasquatchufo
sasquatchufo
01/24/2023 3:33 am

Hi All, 

Question. I have a speaker cabinet with a 60 watt Celestion, and recently I've been using it with a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 amp head. But I'm looking to try out something new. 

I just want a simple solid state amplifier. No pre-amp & no tubes. I've had so much trouble finding something. I have plenty of of effects including a rackmount EQ module, so I don't require anything "sound-shaping." Just a basic, compact amp with a volume knob. 

Also, I don't understand what I need as far as wattage.  Some articles say the wattage of your amp should be a little less than the wattage of the speaker. So if you have a 60 watt speaker, maybe a 40 or 50 watt amp. Other articles say you should have an amp that is double your speaker watts (because it can damage a speaker to run too little power through it??). My Mesa has a 3-way selector switch for running 5, 25 or 50 watts and it seems to sound fairly decent with any of those selections.  

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

edited
# 1
matonanjin
matonanjin
01/27/2023 10:52 pm

Since you mentioned solid state, have you looked at one of the amp pedals?  Here is a discussion about the 3 new amp/pedal modellers.  I'm not sure what to call them.  But this is about the Universal Audio Dream, Ruby, and Woodrow  which emulate the  1965 Fender Reverb, 55 Vox 30 and 55 Fender Tweed, respectively.  I think I have those correct.  But you'll figure it out.  

I don't know if you are planning to run your "basic, compact amp with a volume knob" into your speaker cabinet or how you are going to use it.  And I don't know if these are designed to go right into a PA or DAW or how it is used. 

I wish one of the teachers on here would respond.

But these three amp emulators look really interesting.  I just need to decide which one!šŸ¤’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGtRF2yIlDQ&t=125s

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.