More spamming

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/16/2022 9:49 pm

Wow - the forum is really getting clobbered with spam.  I do have the admin email, but so many spam messages are tagging onto links that I don't think I have to time to individually report all of them.  Just today, some guy with a business in Pakistan tagged onto one of my forum responses.

Also, there are still a lot of really old (really-old) posts that pop up.

I know dealing with both of these are daunting tasks but I hope there's something you can do.

Rumble

edited
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/16/2022 11:45 pm

That's OK... we understand.  But try to find the time.   šŸ˜‰

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/t/59067 

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/18/2022 1:06 am
#1 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Wow - the forum is really getting clobbered with spam.  I do have the admin email, but so many spam messages are tagging onto links that I don't think I have to time to individually report all of them.  Just today, some guy with a business in Pakistan tagged onto one of my forum responses.

Also, there are still a lot of really old (really-old) posts that pop up.

I know dealing with both of these are daunting tasks but I hope there's something you can do.

Rumble

Hi Rumble, we are doing our best to keep these spammers off the site, but they just keep coming back! We are currently working on ways to keep them at bay. 

If you see something that we haven't caught ourselves, please do send it to our admin email. 

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
11/18/2022 1:52 am

How are these clowns getting on the forum anyway?  Do they pay full price, or can just anybody write into the forum without joining and paying the up front cost?  If they pay full price you could just throw them off the page and keep their up-front money.   Another way to solve the problem could be to pay a bounty to members (funded by siezed up front money) if they find and report these usless advertisements.  That way you wouldn't even need to find all these non-related adds.

If they are not paying up front, like everbody else, I can see why there is such a huge problem. There are now forum threads that are filled with as many superfilous adds, as ligit guitar entries.  This is really getting out of control and it will eventually make the forum ever more useless swapmeet of free advertisment.  That would be a shameful situation. 

It is hard enough for people to learn guitar today.  As Jeff has pointed out, there isn't a lot of guitar players around any more, and finding support is much harder than it was when I started decades ago (and most everybody I knew was an aspiring guitarist).  Don't allow this forum to sputter out because of endless usless adds for term paper pimps, get rich quick schemes, Nigerian princesses, and other non guitar related crap.  One need only look at all the people who find guitar related answers on the forum, to realize the scope and real danger of this problem.  I, for one, would really hate to see that happen.

edited

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/18/2022 3:04 am
#3 Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi Rumble, we are doing our best to keep these spammers off the site, but they just keep coming back! We are currently working on ways to keep them at bay. 

If you see something that we haven't caught ourselves, please do send it to our admin email. 

Thanks for the response - that's good for me.  I wish you guys the best of luck.   
I'll just maneuver around them and report as I'm able.

Rumble

# 5
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/18/2022 3:11 am
#4 Originally Posted by: snojones

How are these clowns getting on the forum anyway?  Do they pay full price, or can just anybody write into the forum without joining and paying the up front cost?  If they pay full price you could just throw them off the page and keep their up-front money.   Another way to solve the problem could be to pay a bounty to members (funded by siezed up front money) if they find and report these usless advertisements.  That way you wouldn't even need to find all these non-related adds.

If they are not paying up front, like everbody else, I can see why there is such a huge problem. There are now forum threads that are filled with as many superfilous adds, as ligit guitar entries.  This is really getting out of control and it will eventually make the forum ever more useless swapmeet of free advertisment.  That would be a shameful situation. 

It is hard enough for people to learn guitar today.  As Jeff has pointed out, there isn't a lot of guitar players around any more, and finding support is much harder than it was when I started decades ago (and most everybody I knew was an aspiring guitarist).  Don't allow this forum to sputter out because of endless usless adds for term paper pimps, get rich quick schemes, Nigerian princesses, and other non guitar related crap.  One need only look at all the people who find guitar related answers on the forum, to realize the scope and real danger of this problem.  I, for one, would really hate to see that happen.

Sno - maybe I can find a Memphis manbo (voodoo priestess) to send some bad juju their way ;)

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.