pedal board help

slittle_92
slittle_92
09/07/2022 4:39 pm

Hi, Dont know if this is the right group to ask in.

I was just wondering on what pedal choice should be for my first pedal board for potential small giging. I use an epiphone les paul modern as a main guitar and am triying out a fender stratocaster or jazzmaster as a second/backup guitar.aas well as a boss katana 50 mk 2 for amp choice. I know that the katana has a lot of the fx built in, but prefer using stomp boxes after playing around with a friend's, that and having to manually changing the preset mid song. He has also been nice enough to sell me his old board a pedaltrain jr classic.

[br]I've done a bit of browsing around and , I could use help with just some general ideas for pedals.

Right now I've been playing a lot of either Pink Floyd, The XX, the black keys, Linkin park, Red hot chilli peppers, Metallica, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana & most of the “Seattle” grunge sound of the 90’s.

I am looking to build a begginers board that covers most. and after reading some articles/watching demos. am probably looking at an overdrive, distortion, fuzz, delay, compressor, reverb and chorus. pedal and have maybe got a short list for some:

Overdrive: Ibanez ts808, ts808 vs boss blues driver waza craft vs EarthQuaker Devices Plumes Overdrive

Distortion: Boss Ds1 vs Proco Rat

Fuzz: EHX nano big muff vs green Russian big muff vs op amp big muff

reverb: ehx oceans 11 vs fender marine layer vs EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath v3 vs tc electronics hall of fame

any help / suggestions not listed above would be ideal, budget would ideally be 150-200 for each pedal thanks.

# 1
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/07/2022 4:47 pm

My only suggestion is to take the Les Paul to the most reliable guitar store nearest you and ask them for a pedal demo test.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 2
hnremb
Full Access
hnremb
Full Access
01/29/2023 2:22 am
#1 Originally Posted by: slittle_92

Hi, Dont know if this is the right group to ask in.

I was just wondering on what pedal choice should be for my first pedal board for potential small giging. I use an epiphone les paul modern as a main guitar and am triying out a fender stratocaster or jazzmaster as a second/backup guitar.aas well as a boss katana 50 mk 2 for amp choice. I know that the katana has a lot of the fx built in, but prefer using stomp boxes after playing around with a friend's, that and having to manually changing the preset mid song. He has also been nice enough to sell me his old board a pedaltrain jr classic.

[br]I've done a bit of browsing around and , I could use help with just some general ideas for pedals.

Right now I've been playing a lot of either Pink Floyd, The XX, the black keys, Linkin park, Red hot chilli peppers, Metallica, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana & most of the “Seattle” grunge sound of the 90’s.

I am looking to build a begginers board that covers most. and after reading some articles/watching demos. am probably looking at an overdrive, distortion, fuzz, delay, compressor, reverb and chorus. pedal and have maybe got a short list for some:

Overdrive: Ibanez ts808, ts808 vs boss blues driver waza craft vs EarthQuaker Devices Plumes Overdrive

Distortion: Boss Ds1 vs Proco Rat

Fuzz: EHX nano big muff vs green Russian big muff vs op amp big muff

reverb: ehx oceans 11 vs fender marine layer vs EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath v3 vs tc electronics hall of fame

any help / suggestions not listed above would be ideal, budget would ideally be 150-200 for each pedal thanks.

The first pedal you should buy is a really good tuner. I bought my son a Boss TU-3W (you dont have to go to this extreme if you dont want to, just shop around) as he plays bass as well as guitar and plays out. Besides that it is a really good tuner and allows you to run a daisy chain to power other pedals on the  board. This was the first pedal I bought him to give him a good starting foundation for his board that he is just starting to build. Also, its not exciting but look into getting a good eq pedal.  If you are looking for a high gain overdrive AND a low gain, you might want to consider the BOSS Angry Driver JB2 that combines the JHS Angry Charlie and BOSS BLues driver (with a lot of options for combinations).  If your not doing country check out the Keeley Compressor, you can always start with a classic MXR Dyna Comp.  I get my reverb from my amp(s), but delay I went with the TCE Flashback 2. A lot of it personal preference, You tube was a great help to me to see what the players whose tone I liked were using and to hear demos of how the pedals sounded. You could always go for a multifx like a HX Stomp or Line6 Helix or a Kemper.

# 3
chemical_fusion
Full Access
chemical_fusion
Full Access
07/12/2023 2:17 pm

I bought a bunch of Donner pedals on amazon and ebay for around £20 each, Fuzz, Morpher, Delay, overdrive... been messing around with them for a little bit of fun.

Then I saw a youtube clip for the Stone Deaf Warp Drive, Holy crap I absolutely LOVE this thing and had to get one.   Has pretty much replaced all my pedals, I'm still very much a noob but what a pedal!!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPpOwvrWjrk 

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.