Error in Notation for Jumpin' Jack Flash

ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
04/23/2022 2:46 pm

Hi Mike

I have really enjoyed learning Satisfaction and Jumpin' Jack Flash from you. I can now proudly say that I have them memorized and I can play along with the Jam Track for each.

However, now that I can play the full song I noticed that there is an error in the Notation that caused me a little pain along the way. At measure 13 the repeat says 6X, but it should actually be 3X because the repeat bars cover two measures. Same thing at measure 34. It says 10X and should only be 5X. I discovered that the hard way. As I was learning I started playing the whole song from the notation with a metronome, and slowly increased my speed unitl I got up to the speed shown. So I was playing the Verse 3 riff 20 times instead of 10, mutilple times a day for days! Boy did my hands hurt. A few times I had to stop and shake it off. Once I was up to speed, and had the song pretty much memorized, I played along with the Jam Track. The first time I overplayed the verses and figured I was counting wrong. Then I just played the Jam Track while following the notation with my eyes and not playing the guitar. It was then that I realized that the verses are doubled per the notation as published.

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2022 3:09 pm

Hi Gary!! Awesome work learning and playing along with those iconic tracks!!

And yes, you are absolutely correct about the number of repeats - thanks so much for the heads up. I've forwarded this to our notation dept for correction, and I'll let you know when it's fixed.

Thanks again, and keep rockin'!

Mike

Originally Posted by: ScubaCPA

Hi Mike

I have really enjoyed learning Satisfaction and Jumpin' Jack Flash from you. I can now proudly say that I have them memorized and I can play along with the Jam Track for each.

However, now that I can play the full song I noticed that there is an error in the Notation that caused me a little pain along the way. At measure 13 the repeat says 6X, but it should actually be 3X because the repeat bars cover two measures. Same thing at measure 34. It says 10X and should only be 5X. I discovered that the hard way. As I was learning I started playing the whole song from the notation with a metronome, and slowly increased my speed unitl I got up to the speed shown. So I was playing the Verse 3 riff 20 times instead of 10, mutilple times a day for days! Boy did my hands hurt. A few times I had to stop and shake it off. Once I was up to speed, and had the song pretty much memorized, I played along with the Jam Track. The first time I overplayed the verses and figured I was counting wrong. Then I just played the Jam Track while following the notation with my eyes and not playing the guitar. It was then that I realized that the verses are doubled per the notation as published.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2022 3:56 pm

UPDATE - the notation has been corrected.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 3
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
04/25/2022 4:38 pm

Thank you!

I'm now working on your "Jet" lesson.

Gary

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 4
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2022 11:39 pm

Excellent! Enjoy it!

Mike

Originally Posted by: ScubaCPA

Thank you!

I'm now working on your "Jet" lesson.

Gary

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.