useful consequence of tuning in 4ths

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
12/06/2021 3:51 pm

I just noticed this and thought it is kind of cool and useful (to me anyway). As you go clockwise around the Circle of 5ths, starting on C, you get the most commonly used key's for guitar (i.e., C, G, D, A, E, and B if you like). If you know where the notes for C major are are on the first 3 frets (and open position),

EF_G

BC_D

G_A_

D_EF

A_BC

EF_G

the pattern for modifying that as you go around the circle of 5ths is very systematic and easy to remember.

For the 1st key after C, i.e. G, you play the 2nd fret rather than the 1st fret of the E string.

For the next key, D, you play the 2nd fret rather than the 1st fret of the B string

For the next key, A, you play the 1st fret rather than the open G string (the pattern shifts from the 2nd to 1st fret due to the unique tuning between the G and B strings).

For the next key, E, you play the 1st fret rather than the open D string.

For the next key, B, you play the 1st fret rather than the open A string.

Of course, as you go around the circle of 5ths, you are keeping the sharp from the preceding key and adding one more, so on the fretboard, as you go through these keys, you are building a vertical line (albeit with a kink between the G and B string due to their unique tuning relation [major 3rd rather than 4th]) from the low to high E string. For me, if I'm playing open chords and adding notes to create melodies, it's easier to just know from the get-go what the pattern is for the key I'm playing in rather than trying to remember for each chord what notes can and can't be added to the basic triad to stay within the key.

[slightly edited for clarity, perhaps futiley, but the pattern is much simpler than all the words I used to try to describe it]

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/07/2021 6:43 pm

This is a great circle of fifths practice! Thank you for sharing your observation.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.