versatile guitars

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/01/2021 11:58 am

I know it's all very personal choice.

I have upgraded my beginner acoustic to a better parlour guitar. Very Happy.

Now considering the same type of upgrade from my beginners Squire Mustang.

Still OK with it and could wait until my new Fender LT25 amp arrives in December, Surprise.

So my pared down list is Schecter Omen Extreme 6, ESP 256 Black Satin and finally G&L Asat deluxe in flamed maple, black. Budget £500 tops. All humbuckers with split coil.

Schecter and ESP aren't out and out rock/shred guitars but they do lean that way.

G&L aren't as widely promoted in the UK but a store has a heavily discounted guitar in a clearance sale at the moment. (£299 for a £450 guitar )

So for looks it is the ESP , price is definitely the Asat and I know I have picked one of each of the popular body styles.

Which do people see as the best clean, versatile guitar of those 3.

All for home use only and I will be a beginner for a long long time to come but hanging in there

Thanks Dave

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/01/2021 3:16 pm

Always fun buying new gear Dave. Let us know what you get. They all look great to me.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
rsg.gill
rsg.gill
11/02/2021 2:52 pm

Dave - I have 2 G&Ls (ASAT and Fallout).

For me, they play very well and both are versatile in terms of the sounds I get out of them.

Have fun choosing!

Ron

# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/02/2021 8:27 pm

Thanks Ron

and to William MG

I have indeed gone for the G&L ASAT deluxe. [br]Just too good a deal. [br]ESP was tending to pull just on appearances.

However as I say , with two good guitars to choose from price is sometimes the decider.

Dave

# 4
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
11/05/2021 10:10 pm

just saw this thread. Another fan of G&L. I downsized and kept my G&L. [br]

Originally Posted by: ddiddler[p]Thanks Ron

and to William MG

I have indeed gone for the G&L ASAT deluxe. [br]Just too good a deal. [br]ESP was tending to pull just on appearances.

However as I say , with two good guitars to choose from price is sometimes the decider.

Dave

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/06/2021 11:22 am

Thanks Sasha B

Always good to know.

They do not get a lot of promotion in the UK

Black Satin ESP ec256 looked very good.

G&L tribute deluxe in black fade was a good price and serves my purposes

There were other colours available at full price.

Only 5 at the discounted price and there were none available the day after ordering.

New guitar, not B Stock or returns etc

I'd call that a result.

Dave

# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/06/2021 11:25 am

it did slip out of it's guitar box on unpacking from the very sturdy delivery box.

Big thump and a moment of panic.

No harm done.

Alwaysslide out sideways on a level surface

Don't lift high out of the box

Dave

# 7
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
11/08/2021 5:28 am

G&L's don't get a ton of coverage in the US either. It's a small shop and the tribute series still has pick ups made in The U.S.

Originally Posted by: ddiddler

Thanks Sasha B

Always good to know.

They do not get a lot of promotion in the UK

Black Satin ESP ec256 looked very good.

G&L tribute deluxe in black fade was a good price and serves my purposes

There were other colours available at full price.

Only 5 at the discounted price and there were none available the day after ordering.

New guitar, not B Stock or returns etc

I'd call that a result.

Dave

2021 Iris CH

# 8
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
04/07/2022 9:05 am

Not picking up this guitar as much as I should.

Bought with head over heart.

every time I look online it's the ESP I look at..

Now considering how much I would have to put to a trade in to get that ESP.

I'm in no way a capable guitar player yet so what is it with having to really want that guitar.

Both capable guitars so there is no way I can actually fault that G&L and the ESP won't make me a better player.

You see so many posts that say you have to buy the guitar that draws you to it not the one that might suit better in theory.

Saying that the Epiphone modern SG looks and sounds good.

GAS begone.

This is worse than golf clubs

Dave

# 9
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/07/2022 9:31 am

It's that new car smell Dave. It goes away quickly. I think at our level of ability buying guitars comes down to two things. Playability is one. It has to fit and feel comfortable to you and the only way to know that is to try them out. Find a nearby store and spend a day playing as many as you can. You'll know either way the minute you play them. Second thing is looks. The color the style whatever it is about it that will make you want to pick it up and never put it down. [br]Leave the tone and specs to the pros.

Good luck with whatever you decide. [br][br]

Moe

# 10
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
04/08/2022 3:31 pm

this is very true. I've purchased with my head over my heart before.

Since you got a big discount on the G&L, I wonder if you could sell it for what (or very close) to what you paid on FB marketplace?

I am now down to two guitars (one acoustic and one electric). Both I love and am drawn to.

Originally Posted by: ddiddler

Not picking up this guitar as much as I should.

Bought with head over heart.

every time I look online it's the ESP I look at..

Now considering how much I would have to put to a trade in to get that ESP.

I'm in no way a capable guitar player yet so what is it with having to really want that guitar.

Both capable guitars so there is no way I can actually fault that G&L and the ESP won't make me a better player.

You see so many posts that say you have to buy the guitar that draws you to it not the one that might suit better in theory.

Saying that the Epiphone modern SG looks and sounds good.

GAS begone.

This is worse than golf clubs

Dave

2021 Iris CH

# 11
ross145
ross145
05/20/2022 4:04 pm

You may find something you are looking for - https://apartmentrecording.com/best-electric-guitars/

# 12
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/13/2022 3:43 pm

Well, I stayed with the G&L and I am playing it more though. I pick up my Faith parlour most times. 
The GAS never went away and the ESP was always the first online look. However I was reading more and more reviews on the Epiphones and if I wanted a Les Paul style then I should buy a Les Paul guitar . Fancied the 4 knob tone and volume controls to be the true Les Paul. 
Then just added even more confusion because the Epiphone SG did the same and maybe more than the equivalent priced LP. 
Come Black Friday weekend and the LP classic in Worn Ebony was only changed from a sale price to a B Friday banner, no change in price. The store ran a ridiculous 2 day deal n the Standard Ebony but I missed it not realising the 2 days was midday to midday .

come the Tuesday and the worn ebony's were all sold. Nothing ventured I contacted the store and explained how I had missed the early deal and were they prepared to do just that one more deal. Lo and behold I struck lucky and my early Xmas present to myself for struggling along online for another year is the Epiphone Les Paul Standard in Ebony finish.

I'm still a very poor beginner. Soldiering on with pentatonics, triads and easy songs by Mike Olekshy. Also regularly catching his Friday YouTube sessions.

So fun and enjoyment continue. Squire Bullet Mustang. G& L ASAT deluxe. Epiphone Standard Les Paul and Faith Naked Mercury parlour acoustic.

Maybe GAS is over with

Dave

# 13
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/13/2022 4:51 pm

You're enjoying yourself Dave. That's all that matters. Enjoy the new guitar and Merry Christmas!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 14
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/13/2022 6:38 pm
#14 Originally Posted by: William MG

You're enjoying yourself Dave. That's all that matters. Enjoy the new guitar and Merry Christmas!

And a Merry Xmas to you William and to all GT members who contribute to this forum and support each other all the way 

Dave

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.