Handy pattern

Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
09/06/2021 6:57 am

every now and then I stumble across a nugget that makes me think...well why didn't someone just say so in the first place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rhpXPRgvYc

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/06/2021 6:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Tinpan

every now and then I stumble across a nugget that makes me think...well why didn't someone just say so in the first place.

The guitar is very visual pattern oriented. So any pattern that helps you understand better how to play music is certainly beneficial. And the pattern he is using is a handy way to see the relative major & minor pattern that is implied in a great deal of guitar pedagogy.

Having said that, I'm not sure how much easier this is than just memorizing any major scale pattern. After all you still have to learn or know the harmonization of chord qualities. Then how to actually play those voicings. And you are still just stuck on root position chord voicings on the E & A string barre chord roots. And it doesn't really explain why those shapes result in the correct sounds.

Anyway, here's my tutorial on harmonizing the major scale!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2387

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
09/06/2021 9:32 pm

Cheers Chris,

I'll work my way through that too. I guess once I can identify any notes anywhere on the G and B strings (rest easy) quickly then things will get simpler, so any patterns at the moment are really cool. Practice practice practice.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/07/2021 11:01 am
Originally Posted by: TinpanI guess once I can identify any notes anywhere on the G and B strings (rest easy) quickly then things will get simpler, so any patterns at the moment are really cool.[/quote]

Patterns are always good. And knowing why the pattern works is even better. That G to B string transition still gets me occasionally even after all these years! :)

[quote=Tinpan]Practice practice practice.

Exactly.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.