Guitar tone on Little Sister

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/21/2021 7:52 pm

Does anyone know how the lead guitarist gets his tone on Little Sister by Dwight Yoakam? I've never heard anything like it by anyone else.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2021 11:22 am
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

Does anyone know how the lead guitarist gets his tone on Little Sister by Dwight Yoakam? I've never heard anything like it by anyone else.

That's Pete Anderson playing a Telecaster into a loud, bright Fender Deluxe Reverb amp. I remember reading he used a Scholz Rockman as a sort of treble booster. This article has the details.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-secrets-behind-pete-andersons-tone-on-dwight-yoakams-guitars-cadillacs

So, his rig is pretty much just stripped down old school country: Tele into bright Fender amp.

I think what you might be hearing that seems unusual is the fiddle doubles the lead line played in between each vocal phrase on the verses. Because the solo doesn't have that tone, and if you watch live versions you can hear the guitar is the same tone throughout the song.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/22/2021 7:32 pm

I can pick out the sound of the fiddle easily enough. It's some of the tones coming from the guitar that have me wondering.

I suspect it's a combination of chicken picking and "the tone in the fingers".

Sections that stand out the most are the solo around 55 seconds in, then again from around 1.55 to 2.15.

Something to aim for, though

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2021 11:07 pm

I can pick out the sound of the fiddle easily enough. It's some of the tones coming from the guitar that have me wondering.[/quote]

Got it!

[quote=DraconusJLM]

I suspect it's a combination of chicken picking and "the tone in the fingers".

Definitely. Lots of double stop diads & bending. And a Tele on the bridge pickup into a compressor (or some kind of treble booster) into the front end of a loud Fender reverb amp!

Mike teaches some of those style licks from a different Yoakam tune.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22294&s_id=1790

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/23/2021 7:07 pm

Thanks for the links and replies. The Guitar World article was very informative but my wife wouldn't understand if I bought an amp like that and then paid for it to be modded. Hotter pickups on my Tele could be on my letter to Santa, though.

I'm a pedal junkie so will mess around to see if I can get close with what I have :-)

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/25/2021 2:26 pm

You're welcome!

The Guitar World article was very informative but my wife wouldn't understand if I bought an amp like that and then paid for it to be modded.

[p]Roger, that. :)

Hotter pickups could help. And if you enjoy using pedals, then I'd suggest a compressor. It's pretty standard equipment on any country player's board because it makes a sparkly clean pop even more!

But as you mentioned earlier, practicing the technique until you've got the licks right is the first necessary step.

Have fun with it.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/26/2021 6:33 pm

I have an EHX Soul Preacher for basic compressor use, and a Wampler Ego that I'm still getting used to - I suspect the Ego will give the best results for Country type tones.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.