Is major pentatonic over minor blues a thing?

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
05/13/2021 11:17 pm

Trying to get a bit of a handle on blues solo's (a bit premature and not my main focus at present but still interested). I know you can play minor pentatonic over either major or minor blues, but I'm kind of guessing that if you're playing a minor blues progression (e.g., Am, Dm, Em) that the A major pentatonic would be an odd, atypical, and musically dubious choice. But I guess I don't really know that. All I know for sure is that it doesn't sound good when I try to do it (no looper, just a quick strum and then some notes using a minor blues progression).

Thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/14/2021 2:59 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

I know you can play minor pentatonic over either major or minor blues, but I'm kind of guessing that if you're playing a minor blues progression (e.g., Am, Dm, Em) that the A major pentatonic would be an odd, atypical, and musically dubious choice.

[p]I'm not aware of any players or tunes that do that. There are jazz players that use major notes or even whole major modes quickly over minor chords sometimes.

Often jazz players use modes of melodic minor which has a minor 3rd but also a major 6th & major 7th. But this is an intentional way of working from, to or through the surrounding chords in the progression. And it is meant to sound intentionally "outside". A great example is a minor-major 7th chord.

The more frequently used choice in blues is minor notes over major chords. That bittersweet clashing dissonance is one of the key characterists of much blues. Often you will hear major chords, notes, lines as the foundation or basis & minor notes in the upper registers as ornamental melody notes.

Or you will hear the use of minor 3rd followed quickly by the major 3rd as a dramatic way of chromatically delaying the arrival of the major 3rd. This is as a old as classical music.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
05/14/2021 4:19 pm

Thank you much Chris. The blues and I are trying to come to an understanding (...well, it's kind of a one-sided desire). I am looking forward to getting to the GT blues modules, but am also having a difficult time resisting other ad hoc YouTube videos that pop up in my YT "suggested video" feed and these just egg on my curiousity and interest. I might have a couple of other questions along these lines.

-Dave

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/15/2021 2:53 pm

You're welcome.

Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Thank you much Chris. The blues and I are trying to come to an understanding (...well, it's kind of a one-sided desire).[/quote][p]Ha! Best of success with it! :)

[quote=dlwalke]

I am looking forward to getting to the GT blues modules, but am also having a difficult time resisting other ad hoc YouTube videos that pop up in my YT "suggested video" feed and these just egg on my curiousity and interest. I might have a couple of other questions along these lines.

[p]There are a lot of great players on YT! I enjoy watching them for inspiration & to learn new things. But when you are just starting out on a new topic it's very beneficial to have a structured learning path, a curriculum. That's why we have style courses!

So, please ask anything you want. But be aware that at least part of my answer is going to be "Work through this tutorial". Chances are it's something we've already covered here at GT. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.