power chord

Lazarmilo
Full Access
Lazarmilo
Full Access
02/15/2021 5:58 pm

I find it much easier to place my ring finger across the bottom two strings vs. having my pinky on the same fret below my ring finger... Is this ok to play this way? I dont want to pick up anything bad that would hurt me in the long run...

# 1
Lazarmilo
Full Access
Lazarmilo
Full Access
02/16/2021 9:02 pm

3 string power chord... Lets say a G power chord off the low E... Index would be on the low E 3rd fret, ring or 3rd finger on the A string 5th fret, and the pinky on the D string 5th fret...Instead placing the 3rd finger across the A and D string on the 5th fret...

# 2
jimk8882
jimk8882
02/16/2021 10:03 pm
Originally Posted by: Lazarmilo

3 string power chord... Lets say a G power chord off the low E... Index would be on the low E 3rd fret, ring or 3rd finger on the A string 5th fret, and the pinky on the D string 5th fret...Instead placing the 3rd finger across the A and D string on the 5th fret...

Lazrmilo, for me I do the G power chord with the 3 fingers as you described above but when I get to the higher frets (such as the 10th or 12th fret), the frets are much smaller and I play the power chord using in index finger on the low E string and the ring finger across the A and D strings. Either are acceptable. Can't remember if I heard that in one of the lessons or whether I read it somewhere in the forum.

Jim

# 3
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
02/17/2021 9:38 am

Very sorry.

Thanks for the exttra info

I then realised I totally mixed up my ring and index and described eeverything totally the wrong way round.

Must have thought I was a contortionist

good job there's more experienced than me on here

Dave

# 4
Lazarmilo
Full Access
Lazarmilo
Full Access
02/17/2021 7:49 pm

Dave, Not a problem... Forum is all about asking questions and learning things... I have a long way to go yet! Thanks also jimk8882 for the reply....

# 5
chris512
Full Access
chris512
Full Access
03/11/2021 3:20 am

As you get farther along and build more dexterity and finger strength you'll find that you'll usually want to use the 3-finger approach. It gives you more precision and generally better tone. As you get better you start to really hone in on the tone and dynamic each string produces. Three fingers on power chords let's you adjust those string vibrations independently to shape the overall chord. It's one of the things that makes a more advanced guitarist sound so much better even if you play the exact same thing.

Personally, I like to consider these different techniques as tools. Learn them all. You will find yourself eventually needing every tool in the toolbox rather than learning a single way to shape a chord.

Stick with it and it'll get comfortable. Good luck!

# 6
innocci
innocci
06/26/2023 5:07 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Lazarmilo

I find it much easier to place my ring finger across the bottom two strings vs. having my pinky on the same fret below my ring finger... Is this ok to play this way? I dont want to pick up anything bad that would hurt me in the long run...

There is no right or wrong way to finger a chord. How I finger a chord is based on where I am transitioning from or transitioning to in order to perform a smooth transition. Do what works for you, the fingering that is difficult for you, try to incorporate it into an exercise to help with development, at some point that fingering may be more useful for transitioning. 

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.