Almost got The Night We Met

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/07/2021 1:37 am

I have been able to play a little, despite my poor fretting hand pain...so I devoted today's time to revisiting a song I tried months ago, Lord Huron's The Night We Met. I absolutely love this song so I was eager to try it back then but I just couldnt get it. I put it away for awhile and got it out tongiht.

I can suddenly play it! I can do the barre F#m chord but not consistently so I just do the partial barre. I have been listening to the original version along with some Live versions and I'm starting to really get the hang of the dynamics. The original has some Oooo's and Ahhhh's in the beginning so I'm doing that while I lightly strum, then build up the dynamics, do the doubled up strumming halfway through until the ending where I do a couple single strums to begin that part and now I'm working on getting the arpeggiation right at the end. Since I'm doing a partial barre on that F#m, I'm not quite sure how to arepeggiate it and make it sound good. I keep trying, do you have any suggestions?

I'm so excited with how this is sounding! Great tutorial. And the singers voice is a very comfortable range for me to sing. And hooray with getting things back out that you put away months ago. This has been happening a lot to me lately! (I started playing in July of last year.)

Thanks for any tips on that arpeggiation.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2021 2:02 pm

Excellent work Susan - this is great news!!

Here's what I suggest for the arpeggiation of your easier F#m chord:

For the timing to work out, you'll have a group of 3 picks for the first beat, and another group of 3 picks for the second beat, then it's time to change to the next chord.

For the first group of 3, start with the 4th fret of the 4th string (D string) and go up the chord - so 2nd fret of the 3rd string and 2nd fret of the 2nd string.

Then for the next group of 3, get the 2nd fret of the 1st string, then come back down with the next 2 picks - 2nd fret of the 2nd string, then 2nd fret of the 3rd string.

Make sense? Please let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: SusanMW

I have been able to play a little, despite my poor fretting hand pain...so I devoted today's time to revisiting a song I tried months ago, Lord Huron's The Night We Met. I absolutely love this song so I was eager to try it back then but I just couldnt get it. I put it away for awhile and got it out tongiht.

I can suddenly play it! I can do the barre F#m chord but not consistently so I just do the partial barre. I have been listening to the original version along with some Live versions and I'm starting to really get the hang of the dynamics. The original has some Oooo's and Ahhhh's in the beginning so I'm doing that while I lightly strum, then build up the dynamics, do the doubled up strumming halfway through until the ending where I do a couple single strums to begin that part and now I'm working on getting the arpeggiation right at the end. Since I'm doing a partial barre on that F#m, I'm not quite sure how to arepeggiate it and make it sound good. I keep trying, do you have any suggestions?

I'm so excited with how this is sounding! Great tutorial. And the singers voice is a very comfortable range for me to sing. And hooray with getting things back out that you put away months ago. This has been happening a lot to me lately! (I started playing in July of last year.)

Thanks for any tips on that arpeggiation.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/07/2021 3:54 pm

That sounds pretty good, thanks! I was able to make a video (I make videos to track my uke and guitar progress....) of the strumming (no apeggiation) this morning with the singing and Oooo's and more OOoooo's. I missed a couple notes and need to work on the tones but not bad for just pulling this song out yesterday again. That partial barre chord is something to get used to so I'm still looking when I change chords to get it just right.

It really helps to make videos and see where my (many) weak spots are.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/07/2021 4:25 pm

Susan,

BE VERY CAREFUL!! You don't want to develop a chronic probelm! I had to quit guitar for a number of years over overuse, it was not a good way to develop as a guitarist... I can attest to that.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/07/2021 4:35 pm

Thanks sno...

I have to limit myself to about 20 minutes each time I play now with a couple hours of breaks at least, plus icing and ibuprofen.

It sounds like the carpal tunnel is already there, according to dr, working on getting the MRI approved that will show it since the nerve test was normal. He said I can continue to play, but just to really listen for when it's time to take a break. I know at some point I wont be able to play at all...but that's when I'm going to work on my right hand picking techniques only lol. It does sound like surgery is in my future...so I may be in a bit of distress over that. It is going to take months to be able to play again. So I guess I'm getting in a little more playing now while I can. It is all quite unfortunate though, that's for sure.

# 5
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/07/2021 4:46 pm
Originally Posted by: SusanMW

Thanks sno...

I have to limit myself to about 20 minutes each time I play now with a couple hours of breaks at least, plus icing and ibuprofen.

It sounds like the carpal tunnel is already there, according to dr, working on getting the MRI approved that will show it since the nerve test was normal. He said I can continue to play, but just to really listen for when it's time to take a break. I know at some point I wont be able to play at all...but that's when I'm going to work on my right hand picking techniques only lol. It does sound like surgery is in my future...so I may be in a bit of distress over that. It is going to take months to be able to play again. So I guess I'm getting in a little more playing now while I can. It is all quite unfortunate though, that's for sure.

Stretching before and after could be of use as well. Glad to hear your Doc is monitoring your symptoms. You also mentioned that you have a good PT to go to.

I swear by Physical Therapy!! Having a PT that you can work with can really help the recovery phase. I actually proposed marriage to my PT after she got this deep muscle spasum to let go. She laughed and said "what would your wife have to say about that?" To which I honestly answered "If you can do the same thing you just did on me, on her... I am pretty sure she would be OK with that!" When I told my wife she laughed and said "yeah that would be ok by me"

# 6
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/07/2021 4:50 pm

ha! That's funny!

Yes, my initial PT evaulation is this week...nervous about that but I've been there before and they are wonderful. They are going to look at me and say, "Oh no! What body part is it now?" LOL I have been there for numerous things in the last year. Chronic conditions will do that...

They are thinking an auto immune disease (well, another one) may be complicating all this too. So I see that dr as well soon.

I am doing less and less playing but when I come across a song like this I just gotta play it. But now I'm really going to focus on songwriting. I have gathered some great resources and I'm ready to get started! :D

# 7
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/07/2021 4:55 pm

God Damn.... I have to love your sprit!!!

GO GET EM GIRL!

# 8
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/07/2021 5:09 pm

Thanks! I'm the same way with the ukulele... :D I have always been an artist, painting, teaching, crafting, etc. but I never experienced the kind of reward that I have with learning how to play guitar. Sure, art still soothes my soul and is therapeutic but guitar just gets that fire in my soul going.

# 9
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/08/2021 12:18 am

I kinda like how my ukulele version turned out... (Hand was feeling good tonight!)

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.