hotel California (made easy) arpeggiation

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
01/18/2021 6:37 pm

Hi Mike,

I've been playing the Hotel California made easy song and I just love it!! I can't do the full bar chords of Bm and F# (especially with my wrist pain lately) so I'm doing the easier versions you show. However, when I play the arpeggiation what would you sugget I play since I can't do the full barre's of those? (I am SO close to being able to play them though.) I need to hit that 2 of the A string for the Bm and the 2 of the F#. Should I just play those as open strings and say "eh, it's close enough" or should I hit the other strings one more time than you're supposed to? Does that make sense? So I would hit the 4 of the A string twice and (and then go on to the rest) for Bm and the 4 on the D string of the F# twice?

Thanks for any help with this. The arpreggiation is sounding pretty good otherwise!! I have impressed my fiance with my playing today! Also, I really appreciate your Friday night Facebook Live's, I always look forward to it.

Susan

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2021 1:34 pm

Hi Susan - Thanks for checking out the Facebook Live sessions, and nice job for making such great progress with this song!

I think the best way to adjust the arpeggiation to the shapes you're using is to start with the 4th fret of the G string for Bm then the 4th fret of the D string for the F#. Those are B and F# notes (the roots) but in a higher octave.

So for Bm, you'll have to adjust your picking pattern to start on the G string, then go back to the D string to play the rest of the pattern. For the F# chord, you'll pick twice on the D string then play the rest of the pattern.

Make sense? Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: SusanMW

Hi Mike,

I've been playing the Hotel California made easy song and I just love it!! I can't do the full bar chords of Bm and F# (especially with my wrist pain lately) so I'm doing the easier versions you show. However, when I play the arpeggiation what would you sugget I play since I can't do the full barre's of those? (I am SO close to being able to play them though.) I need to hit that 2 of the A string for the Bm and the 2 of the F#. Should I just play those as open strings and say "eh, it's close enough" or should I hit the other strings one more time than you're supposed to? Does that make sense? So I would hit the 4 of the A string twice and (and then go on to the rest) for Bm and the 4 on the D string of the F# twice?

Thanks for any help with this. The arpreggiation is sounding pretty good otherwise!! I have impressed my fiance with my playing today! Also, I really appreciate your Friday night Facebook Live's, I always look forward to it.

Susan

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
01/19/2021 4:44 pm

That works out great, thank you!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.