2 year anniversary - 1 newbie student to another

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/01/2021 1:49 pm

Today is Jan 1 2021 and I officially start my 3rd year of guitar study.

For all beginners, take heart in your efforts. Guitar can seem incredibly difficult and confusing, but things will make sense eventually if we practice regularly and continue to push for more information and build upon what we already know. I always chuckle when a light bulb goes off. I don't know why it is, but I can practice something over and over - getting nowhere - and then one day it just makes sense - Eureka! One day it seems like I will never get it and then all of sudden it's there. A wonderful feeling.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year and success in whatever endevour(s) you chose to pursue.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
01/01/2021 4:06 pm

Happy New Year William.

I am now in my second year in guitar study. If I learn even half of what I did in the first it will be a tremendous accomplishment. I know exactly what you mean about the Eureka moments.

The thing I also discovered about learning guitar is it's a two phase effort. First phase is learning to play the guitar, duh , we all know how hard that is, and the second is trying to figure out what kind of guitar player I wanna be? Where do I wanna go with this? What style of music am I more adept at playing? I took on a lot last year, so this year I will start to focus in more specific areas and not spread myself too thin trying to absord everything. Thank you for some of the early advice you've given me when I started.

Anyway here is to another fun and exciting year with Guitar Tricks. To the other beginners old and young. Don't expect it to be quick and easy. There will be some fustrating moments for sure, but the rewards that come from it when you persevere through it are worth it.

Good Luck to everyone,

Moe

# 2
joe791
joe791
01/01/2021 6:58 pm

Thank you, William, for the encouragement. I am 2 weeks into this and I was just thinking yesterday that "my hand just can't do that" - something is wrong with it that it won't bend in that direction, or I can't get my fingers down to where they won't touch the next string. I need a few light bulbs to go off!

Joe

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/01/2021 9:42 pm

Happy New Year Moe!

Keep at it Joe. Take your time with Lisa's Fundamentals. Try a chord, pull your hand away, repeat. 5 to 10 minutes a day on the same chord, your hand will get better at making the shape. Try moving your elbow in and out, this changes the angle of your fingers.

# 4
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
01/01/2021 11:47 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Today is Jan 1 2021 and I officially start my 3rd year of guitar study.

For all beginners, take heart in your efforts. Guitar can seem incredibly difficult and confusing, but things will make sense eventually if we practice regularly and continue to push for more information and build upon what we already know. I always chuckle when a light bulb goes off. I don't know why it is, but I can practice something over and over - getting nowhere - and then one day it just makes sense - Eureka! One day it seems like I will never get it and then all of sudden it's there. A wonderful feeling.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year and success in whatever endevour(s) you chose to pursue.

Happy New Year to you as well William,

So true. Learning a new skill is not a nice smooth linear progression. It`s full of stops and starts, plateaus , peaks and valleys. But those A- HA breakthrough moments make it all worth it. Here`s to a fun and productive 2021 !

# 5
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
01/02/2021 9:46 am

Congratulations on starting your third year of guitar playing/learning William, judging from the YouTube video's you've posted on here you've put a lot of work into your learning and made good use of your GT subscription and also been a helpful regular of these forums. Here's hoping your third year is full of eureka moments!

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/02/2021 12:12 pm

Thanks Moose, Fuzz.

All the best in the new year!

# 7
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
01/10/2021 7:01 pm

Congrats, William. I have been playing about 5 yrs. progress has been slow for me lately, I keep playing the same stuff I know over and over, little bits of stuff hear and there, but I know that continuing too move forward it will come together.

# 8
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
01/10/2021 7:09 pm

I recently passed my 3rd year anniversary with GT with absolutely no prior training, Lisas guitar fundamentals is what got me thru the whole learning process, she is incredible. I now have 120 songs on my favorite list, and each time I work on a new song (I love the process of learning a new song) I learn it faster than the previous one so I can tell my skills are progressing, like Lisa says, "just keep practicing and you'll get it".....

# 9
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/10/2021 7:39 pm
Originally Posted by: mcchuck47

Congrats, William. I have been playing about 5 yrs. progress has been slow for me lately, I keep playing the same stuff I know over and over..

[p]

Thank you mcchuck47. Hopefully this year you can move away forward and begin to add new material to learn. It will help you break the cycle of repeating what you already know.

Good luck.

# 10
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/10/2021 7:42 pm
Originally Posted by: StratmanKeith

I recently passed my 3rd year anniversary with GT with absolutely no prior training, Lisas guitar fundamentals is what got me thru the whole learning process, she is incredible. I now have 120 songs on my favorite list, and each time I work on a new song (I love the process of learning a new song) I learn it faster than the previous one so I can tell my skills are progressing, like Lisa says, "just keep practicing and you'll get it".....

Awesome to hear StratmanKetih, you have an amazing song list. Wow! You make a great point in that you "love the process of learning".

To me, that is probably [u]THE[/u] most important aspect of learning.

Good luck!

# 11
mcchuck47
Full Access
mcchuck47
Full Access
01/10/2021 9:19 pm

Thank you

# 12
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/10/2021 9:36 pm
Originally Posted by: mcchuck47

Thank you

NP, it will come together

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.