usb microphone for hd webcam (beginner)

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/25/2020 2:40 am

I am looking for some advice on the best way to record myself playing. I have been experimenting with what I have to work with and it's just not ideal. Now, I'm just a girl in a living room who wants to document her progress as a beginner guitar player. I'm not looking to record super polished performances to be submitted to something. I just want my guitar to sound like....a guitar! (I will be recording with my acoustic.)

I have a 1080 HD Webcam but the built in microphone is terrible for guitar and so is my built in laptop sound.

I have been recording with my Canon Rebel T7 but the sound (even after I play with it manually) just isn't too great. And this Rebel model does not allow for an external microphone.

I have an older iphone but that's hopeless for recording, too. It just doesn't sound good.

But the web cam itself is pretty good for what I need and I have the ability to record (and not just use it for streaming platforms) standalone videos. So after much research I have concluded the best option is to find a good (but budget) USB Microphone that I can use with the webcam and just change the sound settings on my laptop (Windows 10) so that it will use the USB Microphone and not webcam input for sound. I should be able to do that.

Do you have any recommendations for a very basic USB Microphone that can pick up an acoustic guitar pretty well and also be used with the webcam? Any help or additional thoughts would be great. Again, I just want to document my snail's pace journey with guitar and keep this fun.

Thank you for any help!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/25/2020 3:22 pm
Originally Posted by: SusanMWDo you have any recommendations for a very basic USB Microphone that can pick up an acoustic guitar pretty well and also be used with the webcam?

These are all good options.

https://www.shoutmeloud.com/best-podcast-microphone.html

I have personal experience with the Yeti, Rode & Samson. They all work fine for voice & instrument. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/25/2020 6:25 pm

Thank you, I'll be checking those out tonight. I've also considered a separate microphone and interface setup but I feel like that might be overkill for what I'm looking for, especially if I'm trying to stay within a low budget.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3
source3
source3
10/28/2020 1:58 am

Susan,

In your post you focus on microphones. But how does the recording sound with a good set of headphones? The internal mic may be ok for what you want to do but the laptop speakers may be the issue.

Just a thought.

# 4
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/28/2020 2:46 am

Good thinking! That is definitely something I'm investigating. I wouldn't mind getting an external speaker anyways. I do have an external USB Mic now. I got all my inputs/outputs correct. I'm still just experimenting with it, haven't had a chance to play/hear my guitar yet but voice does sound very good and clear.

# 5
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/28/2020 7:38 pm

The guitar sounds about the same with and without headphones. So I think the problem is with the mic in the laptop itself.

I did get a USB Micropphone that I'm plugging right into my laptop (no interface). I was a little worried at first because I was getting a good sound when I spoke (very good, actually!) but the guitar was sounding very low and light. Then I realized that while I had my other sound inputs deselected, I had to actually disable each one. Then I started to get much better sound. I even tested out some things in Audacity and it finally sounds good in there, too. I'm optimistic that this will work really well for what I intend to use it for. My USB Microphone is the Neewer model, the last one that the article Christopher referenced above recommended for this kind of price point (under $50). Overall, very pleased with it!

# 6
jmekula
jmekula
08/04/2021 1:25 pm

Hello , the shure mv88 usb mic works very well for me . it plugs directly into your iphone and has many recording options . sounds great espically for bass tones as iphone dosnt pick them up well at all . its small and easily portable. all you have to do is download the motiv app ans ready to go . made a huge fun difference in recording myslef so i can see how lousy i actually play ...... enjoy ...

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.