is playing guitar is good for your mental health?

gustavowoltmannguitarist
gustavowoltmannguitarist
10/16/2020 4:08 am

We see playing guitar as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. Guitar-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

What you say about this?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/16/2020 10:44 am

I would agree.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/16/2020 12:08 pm

not sure

A bit like golf

Great when it's going good

frustrating as anything if you jit a sticky patch.

Very like golf in that you can always get better than where you are now

Overall , it has to be, doing something has to better than sitting doing nothing

Dave

# 3
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
10/16/2020 12:36 pm

Not only that, but I've seen some studies that say that engaging in a skill that requires detailed hand/brain/eye coordination reduces risk of Alzheimer's in later life by up to 40%.

That alone makes it worth it, let alone all the other benefits.

Play on.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 4
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/16/2020 1:21 pm

Oh yes! There are so many benefits to playing guitar/an instrument. Or being a painter or poet, etc. The arts are meant to be experienced with all the senses. Take it all in! It is extremely good for your mental health. Not only do I battle with anxiety but I also have alot of chronic pain issues. When I'm sewing or painting or playing guitar I get thrust into another world for awhile by giving my whole attention to something postive. It helps to regulate my breathing too which is also very important. Learning new things like sewing and playing guitar has really helped out my confidence and self esteem. It's amazing. :)

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/17/2020 2:50 am

Here are some references;

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?p=287097

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?p=286756

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?p=292391

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?p=302008 specific to dementia

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?p=308465

There are probably others but my memory isn't so good anymore...

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/19/2020 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: gustavowoltmannguitarist

We see playing guitar as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. Guitar-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

What you say about this?

Here's a great article from Fender: Click >>

A key statement in the article; "Playing an instrument has a meditative aspect that can release positive hormones in the brain and can reduce the stress hormone Cortisol, increase productivity, and create social bonding to combat loneliness in the digital age...Playing music with other people produces the chemical oxytocin, a binding chemical that promotes trust and social bonding and makes you feel better."

There are official studies regarding the mental health benefits of learning an instrument but it is the forgotten part of what is really valuble about music; it's affect on our feeling. It helps us through anger or sadness or makes us happy. Add to that refocusing on something creative has vast benefits on anxieties.

So, yes.

# 7
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
03/06/2023 7:49 pm

I can tell you first hand it went a long way in my mental state after getting divorced in '99. I was working on a roof in a neighborhood that was having a garage sale. Needing many household items as it was, one thing caught my eye was a black Strat Squire and a funky little amp (originally sold as a starter set together). I bargained with the dude and for $35, I had him throw in an electric juicer. Having last played in the late 60s, it was a long shot but I didn't want to start stupid drinking and I could see were this might guide my mind. Someone told me to check out Youtube(at that time I never heard of this!). I couldn't believe the stuff I learned on line for free! Anyway, fast forward, I've been playing steady for these past twenty plus years and great sites like GuitarTricks have catapulted my skills! Along with my spiritual faith, my guitar settled down my mind and gave me accomplishments and feeling of success! 
i like what Faith 83 said about Alzheimer's therapy; I don't doubt guitar is a positive connection!! Anyway, sorry for rambling but I hope guitar helps someone going through tough stretches in life (along with faith in God).

# 8
gtc.100
gtc.100
03/21/2023 2:22 pm

A simple search of this topic reveals many positive scientific results. 

The top two are from Psychology Today and the National Institutes of Health!

# 9
Ericbarker306
Ericbarker306
04/27/2023 5:31 am

Passion is a nice thing to have in life.

# 10
erikamills18
erikamills18
05/04/2023 2:44 am

Playing the guitar can help you reduce stress. There's nothing better than playing your favorite song on a guitar as your soulmate. Many studies show that it can reduce cortisol (a stress hormone) and help us feel more relaxed.   

# 11
langford.laura626
Full Access
langford.laura626
Full Access
05/04/2023 2:55 am

It's keeping me sane right now. Just lost my job, I'm incredibly pissed off and depressed, and if I practice it gets me out of my head. I don't feel the least bit musical right now, or creative. So today I am playing A minor pentatonic scales at 80 BPM in every f***ing position from open strings to the top of the neck. Over and over and over. Including going from the main fretboard, then playing an octave higher above the 12th fret. All 80 BPM, trying to get it so there's no breaks. Should keep me going for the rest of the evening, so far I'm two hours or so in.

# 12
Whune
Full Access
Whune
Full Access
07/05/2023 7:42 pm

I didn't notice anyone mention it

so:

[bi-lateral synchronicity] is good for [psychological equilibrium]

I think it has to do with the right and left hemispheres of the brain being focused on common task

EG

guitar

piano

percussion

running

etc.

# 13
Alvakim04
Alvakim04
07/27/2023 5:22 am

Playing any instrument, not just the guitar, can help with all of that. There's also research which shows that playing and/or listening to music helps to strengthen connections between the two sides of the brain and their respective functions, which is why it's particularly helpful for children as their brains and intellects mature.

# 14
guestoliving
guestoliving
07/28/2023 6:46 am

Yes, I agree with @Alvakim04 . I think the same.

# 15
babydolla47
babydolla47
08/02/2023 4:58 pm

Playing the guitar can be incredibly beneficial for your mental health. Not only is it a fantastic way to express yourself creatively, but it also helps reduce stress and anxiety. The act of strumming those strings and creating beautiful music releases endorphins that lift your mood. It can be a great outlet to unwind and escape from the daily pressures of life. Additionally, learning to play an instrument like the guitar can boost your self-esteem and sense of accomplishment as you progress and master new skills. It can also improve cognitive function and enhance your memory and focus. Plus, playing the guitar can foster a sense of community and connection when you play with others or join a band.

# 16
Baronjame86
Baronjame86
08/03/2023 9:09 am

It is fantastic exercise for one's memory and dexterity, physical benefits.

One can be lifted away by the music and inspired to connect with others in an abstract creative group endeavor, spiritual benefits.

One can even think about it. I try not to think (in verbal terms - words and defined ideas) when I am playing.

I've met lots of wonderful and talented people sharing music, social benefits.

I love it!!!!!

# 17
babydolla47
babydolla47
08/03/2023 4:57 pm

Absolutely, It's like a musical therapy session, helping you unwind, release stress, and express yourself in a rad way.

# 18
DanteJo94
DanteJo94
08/15/2023 9:52 am

The guitar can provide mental challenges as we strive to learn more and improve. It can also provide a heathy mental escape from the world around us. It's much like martial arts practice and/or playing a game of chess. For an hour or so you concentrate on the game and/or your skills. When you are done you realize all the worlds problems that were bugging you were ignored and that you tuned them out. Works for any sport and/or a good book, movie, guitar, other instrument, etc. You have escaped from the world and cleared your mind while adding to your knowledge and physical attributes through concentration. You became a little better guitar player during your practice and then you can take it out and play it for someone...or just lock yourself in a room and play for your own enjoyment. 

# 19
WangJason97
WangJason97
09/06/2023 7:38 am

You often hear people refer to an activity or a hobby as an ‘escape’. When you’ve had a long day and nothing seems to be going right, sometimes you need an activity that totally absorbs the mind. For so many people around the world this escape comes in the form of an instrument.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.