Any advice for this string bending problem

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
08/26/2020 2:54 am

Not uncommonly, when I bend aggressively, I inadvertently play the string above as well. Specifically what happens is that my finger pushes up to the string above and then the string above pops under my finger, and sounds whatever that note would be at that fret (e.g., let's say I'm bending at the 8th fret of the B string (G) and the G string pops under my finger sounding a D#. Then, when I release the bend, that same string pops out from under my finger and sounds the open note of that string. Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Thanks,

Dave

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/26/2020 6:24 am
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Not uncommonly, when I bend aggressively, I inadvertently play the string above as well. Specifically what happens is that my finger pushes up to the string above and then the string above pops under my finger, and sounds whatever that note would be at that fret (e.g., let's say I'm bending at the 8th fret of the B string (G) and the G string pops under my finger sounding a D#. Then, when I release the bend, that same string pops out from under my finger and sounds the open note of that string. Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Thanks,

Dave

Hey there Dave,

It sounds to me like maybe your string action is really high. If you are on an electric and can lower the action closer to the fretboard, you should be able to keep the string *under* your finger that is bending the strings. So, if you're bending the 8th fret of the B string, you should also be bending that G string (silently) at the same time. If your G string is getting caught on your finger, it sounds like an string height issue. A pretty easy adjustment on an electric!

If you're on an acoustic, you have more limited options for lowering the action.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.