Luthier that can’t play... yet

madkrafter
madkrafter
06/07/2020 2:10 pm

Many of my friends are guitar players. I've tried to learn over the years - since college (I turned 50 last month). Playing has never stuck. I have been a woodworker all my life and in 2003 decided to make an acoustic guitar from scratch. I was hooked.

Since then, I've built five acoustics and seven electrics. Many were built for friends but I still own three electrics - Tele style, LP style and a custom with a HSH configuration. I also have my first acoustic and latest acoustic that I finished last September. [br][br]

My quarantine project has been a point-to-point wired 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb amp build. Parts sourced from the best suppliers. My own custom build-your-own-amp kit. I also own a Line 6 AmpliFi and Groove Tubes Soul-o 75. What can I say, I have GAS!

But I still can't play. I have finally decided to change that. I don't learn well on my own and need structure and a clear path. I just started with Guitar Tricks and admittedly know the basics of guitar anatomy and construction. It's time to learn how to play!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/07/2020 5:06 pm

Welcome and good luck.

That amp project sounds very interesting, I am a fan of Uncle Doug and have watched many of his videos.

We'd all be interested in seeing your guitars as well, if you are able to share pics.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
alamogeorge
alamogeorge
06/08/2020 11:21 pm

Apparantly that's not all that uncommon. When I was stationed in Spain, I got to visit the workshop of a flamenco guitar maker. He said that he never learned because he spent all of his time making them. He always had other people test them out for him.

I just turned 50, as well, in April.

# 3
madkrafter
madkrafter
06/10/2020 1:38 pm

Happy belated birthday alamogeorge. Thanks William. I've been watching Uncle Doug, D-Lab and for some reason, JHS Pedal Show and That Pedal Show (Haven't finished the amp and I'm obsessing over pedals - GAS). Well, here are some (most) of my guitars. I have really only sold to friends and build them because I love to. This first picture is my first-born on the left with my trusty #2 on the right. (The Groove Tubes Soul-o 75 on the left)

I have always leaned heavily on the fact that Leo Fender didn't know how to play and he made some of most revered guitars and amps in history. The fact is, everytime I finish one it is bittersweet - I have to find someone to play it to know how it really sounds. I can tune it and play three or four chords but that's it. I have finally decided to commit to lessons.

# 4
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
06/10/2020 7:58 pm

madkrafter, those are stunningly beautiful!!

I love the wood selection! That glossy LP style, and the burled one, are my favorites. What wood did you use for those?

As a lifelong woodworker myself, I an so relate to your situation.

I've never made a guitar mind you, but I could, so I appreciate your work, as well as the "find someone to play it to see how it sounds."

I've also tried to learn how to play to the point that I considered myself a "guitarist" for 40 years now, off and on, and never really go there.

One of my dreams is, once I can retire from the rat race, is to build guitars.

# 5
madkrafter
madkrafter
06/10/2020 9:08 pm

Thanks spb1122. The carved top electric is spalted myrtlewood and the T-style is spalted maple which actually has a twin. I bought the book matched set off another luthier. It was thick enough that I re-sawed both halves and made twin drop-top T-styles. The one that I still have has Jason Lollar pickups in it.

if you start building, make room for all of the jigs! I have faith that you'll build some beauties too. It takes some patience, that's for sure. If you come from woodworking, you know what I mean. DM me if you ever have questions.

# 6
fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
06/14/2020 6:42 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Welcome and good luck.

That amp project sounds very interesting, I am a fan of Uncle Doug and have watched many of his videos.

Uncle Doug is a legend! Him and D-Lab are the reason I keep going back to YouTube

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/14/2020 8:12 pm
Originally Posted by: spb1122

madkrafter, those are stunningly beautiful!!

I love the wood selection! That glossy LP style, and the burled one, are my favorites. What wood did you use for those?

As a lifelong woodworker myself, I an so relate to your situation.

I've never made a guitar mind you, but I could, so I appreciate your work, as well as the "find someone to play it to see how it sounds."

I've also tried to learn how to play to the point that I considered myself a "guitarist" for 40 years now, off and on, and never really go there.

One of my dreams is, once I can retire from the rat race, is to build guitars.

I am not sure how I missed this, but it was the latest post by fuzz that reminded me of it and I agree with Steve, this is amazing.

I have built a couple of houses, but nothing like this. Incredible.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 8
madkrafter
madkrafter
06/28/2020 6:11 pm

Thanks William. I have been distracted by my amp build lately and have to get back to Guitar Tricks. This is why I haven't learned how to play yet! I get too distracted by the easier things in life for me - building things.

# 9
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/28/2020 8:17 pm

Those are some gorgeous guitars. You do great work. I was just kicking around on YouTube looking for something interesting and guitar related to watch and came across this video of a guy making one out of a shelf during lockdown. If this is what you do hats off to you. I had no idea of the level of craftsmanship that went into it. Your right the amount of jigs used along with planers and various files used is something else. If it's this involved no wonder you have no time to play them or learn. If anyone wants to try and do this here ya go. [br][br]

Moe

[br]https://youtu.be/jXdKAwHSe6M

# 10
madkrafter
madkrafter
06/29/2020 12:09 am

Thanks mjgodin. It's the level and attention to detail that I love. People should also understand that it's not much cheaper to build your own. I could have bought a VERY NICE guitar for what I spent building the first one - wood, hardware, guitar-specific tools, jigs. I had a job change and move a couple of years ago and sold all my tools to another luthier (kept my cabinet table saw and jigs). I don't know when I'll build again but I will. When COVID hit, I started building an amp - a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb. Again, I could have bought a nice amp for what I've spent - tools and all... "I can't not make stuff"! There's something wrong with me!! Building for me is not about getting something cheaper. It's about doing it myself and, hopefully, getting something BETTER. Cheers.

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.