For those who think tube amps sound better

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/11/2020 6:13 pm

Clearly, from what I've read, this can be a contentious topic. However, the specifics of what I often hear from tube amp advocates seem most relevent to heavier crunchy, overdriven sounds as opposed to clean tones. Am I wrong about that? Do you think the difference is apparent for clean tones as well? If I do end up getting a tube amp, I would need to get one that preserves those qualities at low volumes. I've thought for example about the Marshall DSL5CR (or 1CR).

Thanks

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/11/2020 7:29 pm

This can be a polorizing conversation which I dont want to wade into. I have both and am glad to have them.

Originally Posted by: dlwalke

However, the specifics of what I often here from tube amp advocates seem most relevent to heavier crunchy, overdriven sounds as opposed to clean tones. Am I wrong about that? Do you think the difference is apparent for clean tones as well? If I do end up getting a tube amp, I would need to get one that preserves those qualities at low volumes.

I can offer you something on this. On my Hot Rod Deluxe, I have a JHS Volume box sitting on top that I can plug into the effects loop when I want to have some breakup while keeping the volume reasonable. And I am being specific to break up on the clean channel. This is a $50 item and there are many YT videos showing how it works and how it differs from an attenuator. I am happy with what it gives me.

I don't have any experience with this Marshall but generally speaking I am not a fan of small tube amps only because when I get together with other people I don't always know how they like to play. Some guys are really mellow and others really aggressive. I can step my amp down, but I can't step a 5 watt amp up when guys want to play loud. So if you are thinking about playing with others it is something to consider.

But whatever you do, good luck and let us know what you get. Gear is great fun!

Edit: my YCV40 had a master volume and this worked well but I like the HRD better so I got rid of the other.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
bbriant
bbriant
04/12/2020 10:54 am

I have a small valve amp which i use with clean tones.

I find valves tend not to clip with a harsh sound like a ss amp does thats why they sound great overdriven and i like the warmer tones of them.

I also use valves in my hifi chain so maybe i am biased.

# 3
ToneChaserUK
ToneChaserUK
04/12/2020 11:47 am

I used solid state amps until I could afford a valve amp. Today I have a Fender Princeton Reverb 68 Custom. I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. Whatever you do have fun with it and enjoy the journey.

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/13/2020 3:39 pm

Generally I lean towards tube/valve amps. Empasis on lean towards. I've made some solid state amps (back in the 80's) that were not known to sound all that good, pump out some solid tone. I mention that because solid state amps nowadays are much, much better. Still, I find a little more sweetness on the tone with tube amps that I don't get with solid state.

Having said that, I've been using Positive Grid Bias FX 2 forseveral months and love it.

It is a matter of preference. If I were a gigging musician, I'd totally go the way of solid state. Few people would know (with the assumption that it is a good solid state). Depending on style, the Fender Tone Master Deluxe is a great sounding gig amp and a reliable home amp too.

So my conculsion is that I do like the sound of a tube amp better than solid state but I don't think the difference is so substantially different. It then becomes a matter of taste and what someone needs from an amp.

# 5
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/13/2020 8:57 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I love the idea of a small amp, both for its portability (from bedroom to living room and maybe to deck, and also because I do not need volume as I am not nor ever expect to be a gigger or even someone who gets together with other people to jam). The Yamaha THR is especially appealing in that regard. However, I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. I've been looking for a small tube amp but none of the ones I've looked at, over the internet, seem quite right. But it's so hard to know without demo-ing in person. As I live in Atlanta that shouldn't be too hard once the time is right for me to pull the trigger and once things start to open back up. There's certainly more than one sound I like but I'm not into everything. Mostly am not into heavy distortion, shredding, etc. I love the sound on Wind Cries Mary which I imagine to be something that is very much a tube sound but as I have very limited real experience, I am to some degree talking out my butt as the saying goes. But I love the rich full depth of sound, the clarity from high to low frequencies. If I can get that in a solid state/modeling amp, great. I also like what I would call the classic rock sound - like, for example, the intro to You Shook Me All Night Long. Anyway, I don't know how useful the internet is as I am ultimately listening for amp differences through the same decent-quality small headphone speakers. Well, as I say, I will be super excited to get into a store and listen to some of the amps on my candidate list in-person.

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/13/2020 9:54 pm

Awesome! Have fun shopping

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/15/2020 7:53 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Thanks everyone for your comments. I love the idea of a small amp, both for its portability (from bedroom to living room and maybe to deck, and also because I do not need volume as I am not nor ever expect to be a gigger or even someone who gets together with other people to jam). The Yamaha THR is especially appealing in that regard. However, I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. I've been looking for a small tube amp but none of the ones I've looked at, over the internet, seem quite right. But it's so hard to know without demo-ing in person. As I live in Atlanta that shouldn't be too hard once the time is right for me to pull the trigger and once things start to open back up. There's certainly more than one sound I like but I'm not into everything. Mostly am not into heavy distortion, shredding, etc. I love the sound on Wind Cries Mary which I imagine to be something that is very much a tube sound but as I have very limited real experience, I am to some degree talking out my butt as the saying goes. But I love the rich full depth of sound, the clarity from high to low frequencies. If I can get that in a solid state/modeling amp, great. I also like what I would call the classic rock sound - like, for example, the intro to You Shook Me All Night Long. Anyway, I don't know how useful the internet is as I am ultimately listening for amp differences through the same decent-quality small headphone speakers. Well, as I say, I will be super excited to get into a store and listen to some of the amps on my candidate list in-person.

If you're on the north side of Atlanta, go to Rightous Guitars in Alpharetta/Roswell. They havean amazing selection of stuff. Don't be intimidated if you go, very helpful folks. Just make sure to ask for help before you try anything. They do like to pul down gearfor you so that you don't ding stuff up. Otherwise, great store.

# 8
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/15/2020 9:30 pm

Thanks for the tip Jeff!

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.