8:25 am Mountain Standard Time

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/06/2019 12:44 am

I adhere to a pretty constant schedule which finds me looking at the news on the web in the early morning. When that's finished I take a look see at what's new on the Guitar Tricks Forum and, over the past months, that's when I've run into something intriguing.

At or around 8:25 am U.S. Mountain time if I click to bring up a new page on the Forum my computer will grind and grind while trying to bring up the link. After two, or three or four minutes, the delay ends and 'clicks' are connected as normal during the rest of the day. If my memory is correct, this has happened on lesson pages too, also at the same time.

I figure the guys and and gals at GT are doing some kind of maintenance on the site at that time but I'm curious as to exactly what's going on. I've noticed the delay as early as 8:22 and, as I noted above, the 'puter just grinds away for a couple minutes until a connection is established. I've never noted this at any other time of day.

In my past life, we might have called this "shift change" but I doubt that's what this is about.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/01/2019 8:51 pm

Just to convince you this isn't a late April's Fools story...

This little down time has happened three times since my initial post. I don't go looking for the issue but I do run into it repeatedly because my schedule has me on the Forum in the morning, consistently in the eight-hour, Mountain time. Here's the three most recent instances with some extra detail. All times are according to the computer as shown on the Desktop.

20 Aug: the computer sat and 'grinded' while it tried to connect to the Forum 0822 - 0827.

30 Aug: again, long time trying to connect, this time to the Songs page, 0825 - 0826.

1 Sep: grinding, "Waiting for response" shown by my browser then a page showing, "Error 524 - Host Error. Ray ID: 50f7e7985bb0bb34, 2019-09-01 14:23:53 UTC." Connection attempt was at 0822, connection made showing Forum page at 0826.

This doesn't happen at any otther time or on any other sites. The common times of the timeouts lead me to think something is going on at the Guitar Tricks site/server.

Enquiring minds want to know...

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/01/2019 11:21 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MT

or [u]on any other sites[/u].

[br]There's your [u]most probable[/u] answer arrived at by deduction. Eliminated your ISP's server maintenance.

It does most sound like a proprietary to GT scheduled daily downtime/unavailability issue.

I wish I could say I'm sufficiently fascinated to bother to check it out for you to see if it occurs for me too at that time, if only to help your satisfy your curiosity. But 1425ish UTC is circa half midnight local for me, so ain't gonna happen consistently over consecutive nights to make it meaningful, if at all.

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/02/2019 3:12 pm

manXcat,

"I wish I could say I'm sufficiently fascinated to bother to check it out for you..."

That made me laugh out loud. I'm alone in the house so I guess it might have sounded kinda creepy.

I understand. Getting up in the midnight hour to determine if there are any delays on the GT web site would be creepier still.

-- Chet Atkins
# 4
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/02/2019 7:37 pm

Pleased I could brighten your day with laughter in the absence of a solution john of MT. The best salve. 😄

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.