View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

rslater67230
rslater67230
04/12/2020 12:53 pm

Although I just turned 70 (love my life, but HATE that number), as a part of my "shelter in place" regimen I have picked up my Breedlove acoustic Lefty that has been in a case in the closet for 10 years. Didn't even get to basic cords back then as life seemed to get in the way (more likely an excuse than a reaon). Since then I have retired (failed at that too as I am working full time for a friend who is general manager of an aerosapce firm here in Wichita), gotten a pacemaker after no surgeries or health problems since I was 8, was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, and learned to love bicycling and rode 512 miles in the Bike across Kansas last year. I am a "slay the dragon" type of guy and love reaching goals - but the guitar is a big one. I was a drummer in my youth and was quite good- I can relate to that as requiring a lot of practice to master the rudiments, then it all comes together. Or, when I first learned to snow ski - fought it, fought it, fought it - then a little light came on, [u]relaxed[/u] and it was fun from then on.

This course is perfect for me - I am not in a hurry to get to the end and am willing so far to practice what Lisa is peraching until I can get a "little" comfort zone before moving forward. Coincidentally, I am watching the "Sopranos" seasons during my time at home, one episode per day. This is crazy (as am I), but Lisa has a very similar voice, pace and dialect to Dr. Melfi, Tony's psychiatrist in the show. I somehow find that reassuring in her simple, measured approach and for me it is helpful. Go figure. ("Bada-bing")

In my work I often talk about people putting the pieces of a watch on the table when discussing a problem, but never get around to telling me "what time it is". The approach used in GT absolutely shows you the pieces of the watch in detail, but always put them together to tell you the time. I find the encouragement on this board compelling. Thanks for that.