View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

Joe105
Joe105
12/15/2019 12:22 pm
Originally Posted by: brownalvin2

Hello All

I signed on with GT just a few days ago and have been going through the beginner lessons. I'm having the same issue as most of my age group (or anyone). My left hand that I fret with is having a hard time getting used to proper finger position. My thumb wants to move toward the head stock instead of staying opposable behind the second fret and I keep pulling it back to the second fret to adjust. Also for the simple C chord I find my index finger causes buzz on the high E string when pressing the B string in the first fret or is close enough to the G string where I can feel it vibrating. So basically I'm having a "dial it in" issue. I have 3 guitars (all electric) and don't want to add another one until I can be proficient with the ones I have. I guess my short term goal is to stay on the begginer lessons until my "dial it in" issue is resolved. Does this make sense, or does anyone have a better idea? Thx.

Hi,

What you are experiencing is very common when starting out to play guitar. It all takes time until your muscles get used to forming finger positions that you have not used before. Gradually your muscles will gain strength and remember the new finger positions used to form chords.

I would suggest that you make sure you use the finger tips and not the pads to press the strings. Curl your fingers enough to achieve this, like holding a tennis ball.

Make sure your finger nails are cut very short and try to use just enough pressure to make the strings sound out. A common mistake is using too much pressure.

Now play a chord of your choice. Play the chord and hold your fingers down for some seconds making sure every string is sounding. Lift your fingers off the strings ever so slightly then press down again on the strings without changing your finger position. Continue doing this as many times as feels comfortable. 10, 15, 20 times. Whatever you can manage..

This exercise will train your muscle memory quite quickly.

Do this with other chords of your choice.

The exercise will gradually strengthen your muscles and retain the memory of where they should go.

Don't over do it. If it becomes painfull take a break.

It is very easy to become frustrated at the beginning. But you have to learn to walk before you can run. If you can walk properly it is easier to start running. ;).

All this preparation will pay off in the end believe me and make things easier in the long run.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

So take your time. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day but became a beautifull city.

Have fun and enjoy this adventure.

Kind regards

Joe