View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

Old Bones
Full Access
Old Bones
Full Access
08/13/2019 11:15 pm

Thought I would share my story with some of you other old folks.

I am not a real beginner because I played when I was younger. However, I got back into guitar about a year ago and found GT site. For christmas I bought myself an Epiphone ES 335 electric and a line 6 modelling amp (even though I didn't really know what a modelling amp could do until I started to use it). First Electric I played for around 40 Years

Last Saturday I had a party for my 60th birthday and played a 30 minute set that had 100 people dancing and singing along. My first real live performance. It was something I had set as a goal when I got my electric and it was great. I had a ball - and so did everyone else.

The Set I played - learnt mostly from GT:

Satisfaction

Jesus is Just alright

No Rain

Day Tripper

TIme is Tight

Surfing Safari

Are you gonna be my girl

Revolution

TNT and

Tequila

I used guitar backing tracks with vocals that I purchased for a few dollars from the site Custom Backing Tracks and the modelling amp allowed me to preset the tones I wanted with a footswitch to change when needed. I am still amazed at what my little amp can do. For example, in Satisfaction I switched between a high gain setting on a Marshall 1958 Plexi and a Clean 1964 Fender Blackface!