View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/21/2019 11:18 am

Hi John,

Yup, you definitely belong in this thread. Good to have you here. Those Squires are very nice guitars, I have a couple. The sunburst is one of my favorite color schemes, yours is very similar to my Squire Tele.

Regarding your question on chords, my response needs to be tempered with the fact I have been at this about the same amount of time as yourself. So I am not an expert. I went through Lisa’s course and learned the chords as they were taught, but at the same time I was learning songs and sometimes the two won’t overlap. Which is fine. I tend to retain the chords I need to know for songs I am learning to play. I never had a very good memory and tend to retain only the chords I need to play the songs I want to play. I have no intention of trying to learn every chord. As I am typing this I just finished my practice which included the 12 Bar Blues with Anders Mouridsen and he is introducing new chords to me in his tutorial. But since I really enjoy the Blues and will spend lots of time in it, I will likely hold onto these new chords through repetition.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!