View post (Effective Practicing Schedule)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2019 12:31 pm

Hey, Jasim. I'm doing well, thanks. Hope you are too!

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

So recently I’ve moved to another job where it allows me more time to practice, 2-2:30 hours on daily basis (More time in the weekends) which got me thinking that I should have a very effective practice schedule in order to make the most out of those two hours or so.

[/quote]

Congrats on the new job! More practice time is great news. :)[br]

Originally Posted by: jasim.hdNow I know this question has been asked quite a few times and you have to have a goal set in mind, but I hardly have any clear goal, all I want is to really become a good guitar player (too generic I know) I find myself stuck in the realm of a mediocre playing (maybe less LOL).
[p]You kind of answered part of your question right there: you need a clear goal.

In this case, you should probably settle on a style of music or guitar playing, then map a path to it by learning songs in that style. Break down the rhythm & lead guitar playing aspects of that particular style. Often songs are a great way to have a path, learn the style & have a repetoire of things you can play as you progress. And after a while you've actually accomplished something you can look back on with satisfaction. Because right now it might seem like you are spinning your wheels.

[quote=jasim.hd]

Let’s say I want to play faster, broaden my improvisation to more melodic lines, grasp more techniques, and maybe start playing more complex pieces.

[p]This is a good start to a clear goal! But you really need to get specific on style or genre. Obviously there is a lot of overlap in any styles that all contain guitar. But that's really only at the beginner level of basic notes, chords, picking & strumming, staying in time. So if you really want to accel, or be really good, then you need to focus on one.

Because there is a world of difference in the time it will take you to learn to play metal, versus blues (or country, jazz, classical, etc.). The ideas, techniques, skills & songs you learn in metal style will translate well to other songs in metal style. But those will not help you very much for other styles. Maybe rock. But that's still stretching it.

And it will take a lot of time to really get good at just one style!

Eventually, after 5-10 years you might find that you've got enough skills to make a little progress into another style. But it will still take more years to really dig into that new style. To really learn the skills required & the tunes & be able to play them confidently! I know that from personal experience.

So what style do you want to play?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory