Why no solo guitarists ever heard on radio

Ed52
Ed52
08/15/2002 5:06 am
Thanks to my son I've been introduced to artists like Satriani, Vai and Eric Johnson. Here in Toronto, the Classic Rock station Q 107, only plays music with vocals. I guess great instrumentals don't fit the format of commercial radio....too bad! What thinkest ya all?
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
08/15/2002 5:42 am
my radio station will play Cliffs of Dover and Always With Me Always With You, sometimes

i listen to 97.9 the Loop in Chicago
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/15/2002 5:47 am
Ed, that instrumental stuff only appeals to guitar obsessed weirdos like ourselves, it also requires concentration and imagination, two things discouraged by the music industry, one day I'll start a Guitar Only radio station, and I'll go broke by the first week when my sponsors find out only 3 people are listening........... Hey Zepp, When I used to listen to the Loop in 77&78, I think it was probaly was the best rock station ever, I'll never forget hearing Eruption for the first time on the Loop......

[Edited by pstring on 08-15-2002 at 12:51 AM]
# 3
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
08/15/2002 3:44 pm
yea, i think its the best radio station. they just celebrated their 25th anniversary. they gave out tons of convert tickets, but unfortunately i didn't win any
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 4
metalisbest
metalisbest
08/20/2002 2:02 am
The two Classic Rock stations here, 104.5 and 98 Rock, play some instrumental music but the only songs I recognized are Eric Johnson.
# 5
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/20/2002 1:42 pm
There's heaps of instrumental stuff on radio but only if you like classical stuff. I dig some of it, e.g. Vivaldi, some of Bachs freakier stuff and (particularly) Rachmaninov who wrote seriously heavy piano stuff.
Unfortunately most of the classical crowd have their heads stuck up their arses and think that neo-classical/rock instrumentals are too vulgar to listen to and would rather listen to something really stuffy and (aaaghhh) relaxing. Forget that it's only really been in this century that composers of music have shifted into modes other than major and minor and that western music has taken up eastern influences with more unusual scales.
Then there's commercial radio stuff for non-musos which basically tries to plug directly into our labidos by selling sexy divas to us who may sing beautifully but have limited melodic imagination and would rather not be put to shame by the real (session) musicians they regularly play with and who write their songs for them.
Perhaps intricate melodies require too much memory for your average non-muso to appreciate, certainly complex stuff might take a little getting into. I've never like the fact that while plenty of magazines cater for the oversexed male, radio stations still concentrate on musicians who are noted for their physical appearance which should be irrelevant.
Radio sucks. If you want advice on whom to listen to you have to come to sites like this.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 6
zepo
zepo
08/20/2002 3:15 pm
Hmmm you guys have some crappy radio stations =Þ 96.5 down here (Florida) plays all sorts of Vai stuff, just gotta be up late at night to hear it. Granted they do play Frankenstein by Edgar Winter a whole lot (gotta love that song). I'm with pstring, make a guitar only station and broadcast it on the web for us all !!!
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 7
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
08/22/2002 1:58 pm
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pstring
[B]Ed, that instrumental stuff only appeals to guitar obsessed weirdos like ourselves, it also requires concentration and imagination.

Thats right man. We (I mean guitar obsessed weirdos) will rule the music world once again belive me. We did it in the 70 and 80-s and will do it again.

The force is strong within us and we will never give up.

[Edited by Dejan Sajinovic on 08-22-2002 at 09:07 AM]
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.