Volume Knob, the secret tone tool!

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2017 4:00 pm

Here's another tutorial I've meant to do for a long time & finally got it published!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2290

I think the volume knob really is one of the most under appreciated & under used tone tools at the guitarists disposal. In this tutorial I show how to get a variety of tones just from adjusting the volume knob on your guitar for lead and rhythm playing applications. I apply it to rock & blues style playing. But obviously it's applicable to all styles!

Enjoy! Play more guitar!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 1
lespaulguitarman
Full Access
lespaulguitarman
Full Access
09/17/2017 1:59 am

Very nice and frequently overlooked these days IMO. Liked your lesson thus far.

You maybe interested in another volume /gain/tone master's custom rig "The whizzer".The Whizzer was concocted in 1978 in order to accommodate Neil Young’s desire to use various gain saturation levels on his Tweed Deluxe. The device physically turns his amp’s volume and tone knobs to one of four different settings that are controlled via a footswitch on stage.

The first setting is a lower gain position that’s clean enough for Young to get good dynamic sensitivity based on how he picks. The second is even more distorted and is used for songs like “Hey Hey, My My,” and the third setting is a bit more distorted further. The final setting turns the master volume and tone to 12, and the other volume to around 9.9.

Saw the artical at this link %20Active&utm_campaign=C2277000%20091617%20September%20Legends%20of%20Tone&_wcsid=4968508B79927D4075495B5127AB65396AE2E01179BFC39E#video]zZounds Legends of Tone:Neil Young if your interested in his unique tones.

Robotic amps, I'll start and end with your method Cristopher, as I have seen many of the greats on stage working their volume and tone knobs. Why rely on just line 6 when you have 0-10 built in on your guitar? Thanks for the great and useful lesson!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/17/2017 3:51 pm

Hey, there! Glad you enjoyed my lesson.

Originally Posted by: lespaulguitarman

You maybe interested in another volume /gain/tone master's custom rig "The whizzer".The Whizzer was concocted in 1978 in order to accommodate Neil Young’s desire to use various gain saturation levels on his Tweed Deluxe. The device physically turns his amp’s volume and tone knobs to one of four different settings that are controlled via a footswitch on stage.

[p]I've read about that device! I've also read several of those blog post on zzsounds. It's a fun resource. Thanks for the link!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
nanselmus
nanselmus
09/17/2017 6:51 pm

As usual, Professor Schlegel hits another home run.

The volume knob is also great for ambient or spacey rock with the use of copious amounts of delay, reverb, or whatever effect you're using.

It is a great tool, but unfortunately, a lot of guitar manufacturers do not place it within easy reach like I guess most all Fender guitars do so you can always go to a volume pedal which I have never actually used.

I have a Squier Jaguar and despite it being Squier, a somewhat frowned upon Fender brand, it is a pretty killer guitar especially through my Blackstar HT-1. And the knob not only prevents me from killing the neighbors, it does the mighty service as described by providing additional tones to the palette.

I always enjoy a Christopher Schlegel lesson.

Thank you.

CN

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2017 11:57 am

Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by: nanselmus

The volume knob is also great for ambient or spacey rock with the use of copious amounts of delay, reverb, or whatever effect you're using.

[/quote]

Yes! Another great use. Thanks for mentioning.

[quote=nanselmus]

I have a Squier Jaguar and despite it being Squier, a somewhat frowned upon Fender brand, it is a pretty killer guitar especially through my Blackstar HT-1. And the knob not only prevents me from killing the neighbors, it does the mighty service as described by providing additional tones to the palette.

I've acquired quite a few Squier Strats over the years. I use them quite a bit. Just like higher end guitars, there are a lot of good ones & a few clunkers. I enjoy looking for good used ones. :)

A good guitar is a good guitar no matter what the logo is.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/19/2017 10:44 pm

A Walter Becker trick was to apprently turn the amp volume/gain all the way up but only turn the guitar volume to 2 and when he needed a little more kick, roll up the volume knob. I suppose that some of what's in the tutorials here. But cool trick.

Me? Just like the convo I had with a friend yesterday about getting over the metalhead 'Humbuckers only!!!' deal (and I am over it...by a long shot), the volume knob is the same. I almost never roll back the volume. Foolish on my part...

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.