Muting Technique & Tricks

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/15/2017 3:21 pm

I've been meaning to do a complete tutorial on this for a long time! It's finally published.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2281

Muting is a vital technique that is not mentioned as often as it should be. It's implied in almost everything you play on the guitar, from beginner to intermediate to advanced. But it's not always explicitly mentioned.

So, in this tutorial I tried to address the basic principles of muting. The sooner you intentionally incorporate these techniques into your playing, the better you'll sound & the more you'll enjoy playing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
08/16/2017 3:03 pm

Really looking forward to checking out this new tutorial.

# 2
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
08/16/2017 8:53 pm

Sounds interesting - but just for full access accounts right?!

# 3
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
08/18/2017 7:52 am

Hey Christopher! Thanks for creating this course - it's much appreciated (and needed!). And it raises a question I've been wondering about for a while. I notice that some guitarists use string dampers at the end of the neck and I wondered what your views were on this practice. For example Doug Fearman uses one in his GT courses. Anyway, thanks again for the course and best wishes, Steve

# 4
chrispike306
chrispike306
08/18/2017 11:09 am

As a complete beginner, I found this very interesting! Will remember the beginner stuff and am going to watch the intermediate bit later!

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2017 12:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Matthias Hornstein

Sounds interesting - but just for full access accounts right?!

Yes, only full access users. Thanks for asking!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2017 12:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Steve Barrow

I notice that some guitarists use string dampers at the end of the neck and I wondered what your views were on this practice. For example Doug Fearman uses one in his GT courses.

Hey, Steve.

I think if it helps you then go for it. I think it's a good idea to learn proper muting technique & playing skills without using one, so you've got the basics covered. But if it helps you to make better music, then go for it!

I think it helps a great deal if you play a style with a super high gain tone, or if you use two hand tapping technique a lot. I've seen Guthrie Govan use one on some YT vids. And that guy is amazing! He certainly doesn't need one, but he obviously finds it useful for certain playing situations.

There actually is a mechanical device that I've seen on older guitars that has a swivled muting bar attached to the headstock. George Van Eps used one and that guy was also amazing. I think he used it to mute open strings when he played more complex chord melody arrangements.[br][br]Here's a pic of Van Eps using one.[br][br]http://www.spoonercentral.com/2009/RedGuitar/VanEps2.jpg

[br][br]And if you've never heard this guy play, do yourself a favor. :)[br][br]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FctFQZOqGXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAAbQWAYW3s

The original 7-string, chord melody guy! Always tasteful, always swinging & stellar ideas, arrangement & playing. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2017 1:00 pm
Originally Posted by: chrispike306

As a complete beginner, I found this very interesting! Will remember the beginner stuff and am going to watch the intermediate bit later!

Glad it helped!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
08/18/2017 7:03 pm

Hi Christopher,

Many thanks for your comments on string dampers - I take your point absolutely that it's best to learn how to mute strings yourself, even if dampers are useful under some circumstances. I'll be using your course to improve my playing in this respect! And thanks for the heads up on George Van Eps - I love this sort of jazz and George is obviously a master. Amazing how he makes it look so effortless! Thanks again, Steve

# 9
cynthiamyra.kaelyn
cynthiamyra.kaelyn
10/06/2017 5:54 am

Yes, I definitely agree here. Thanks for sharing information

Thanks!

David K's Music School -Guitar Classes San Jose & Voice Lessons San Jose

Almaden School of Music & Art -Guitar Lessons San Jose & Drum Lessons San Jose

# 10
imccowatt
imccowatt
01/16/2018 8:05 pm

THIS. So useful.

I played rhythm in a university band decades ago but never progressed. Just started again. Hit Rock 1 and was dismayed by all the unpleasant noise I was making. Spotted this tutorial, and am now revisiting rock 1 with a much improved sound.

THANK YOU Christopher.

-Iain

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.