A Mess on Favorites Page

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/23/2016 6:58 pm
Bad news for me on the Favorites page this morning. The listing of lessons I'm working on, each saved as a favorite, was completely random when I opened up my Favorites page. In other words, those lessons I had moved to the top of the Favorites page for easy/quick access were no longer there.

I couldn't discern an order to the lessons that were listed...what I did find was lessons that I had worked on 24-hours before were now buried in random order in the pages and pages of six+ years of favorites I had saved. I recovered some (buried 3-5 pages from the top) and moved them back to the top. Others I opened, clicked Unfavorite and then clicked Favorite thereby placing them back on the top. Bad news and a 20+ minute interruption of my practice session.

When GT redid the site some user friendly functions were lost. Considering GT wasn't particularly user friendly to begin with some of the loss was painful. What got strong comments from me and others was the diminished ability to manage the lessons we were active with or had done in the past. What we ended up with was the ability to click and drag lessons into preferred order on the Favorites page. It's not what we asked for...it's not what was promised...but it was a great help and we remained patient and hopeful that the ability to arrange, manage and 'file' lessons [U]according to the users' preference[/U] would some day come to be. Meanwhile...

You guys must ensure the Favorites page is working and stays working. GT ended numbering the lessons (that system too needed improvement, not deletion) and trying to find lessons by title is tiresome as there isn't much logic to titles sometimes and often there are similar titles or, at the least, multiple titles with the same key words, ie.g., triads, inversions, etc.. Clicking and dragging Favorites into some semblance of order is a critical capability. At least it is for me.

I have signed off and signed back in today and the new organization of my current lessons seems to remain in place on the Favorites page. But the dozens of lessons from previous years I had arranged are lost in the mire. To be sure, they are retrievable...all I have to do is remember each one, determine it's specific title, and go through the pages looking for 'em. Then I can set about reordering their appearance. I would like to think this upset just happened with me and others are unaffected but I have a hunch that's not the case.

Please ensure that the Favorites page is fixed and stays fixed.

john
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
Ben Martin
Administrator
Ben Martin
Administrator
07/25/2016 7:58 pm

Really sorry to hear about that John. We haven't touched the favorites section stuff in awhile, so I'm not sure what happened. I did some testing and my favorites are all there in order for me. I also tested adding/removing/reordering and can't seem to break it.

I have some specific questions about your history that might help me get to the bottom of this, so I'll shoot you an email. If anyone else has issues with missing or out of order favorites, post here and let us know.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/25/2016 10:01 pm
Hi Ben,

As I said at near the end of my post above, my Favorites page seems to be stable now. What I have now is a favorites order of a handful of lessons I recreated on the day of my original post. Following those is a seemingly random list of lessons I’ve played with before. It’s been months, perhaps over a year or more, since I’ve used the ‘completed’ function so there’s little chance I’ve confused the “All”, “In Progress” and “Completed” sections of the Favorites page. Now, with the relisting the “All” and “In Progress’ sections kind of look the same. I do use the Favorites function a lot as it’s easy for me to mange the lessons I’m working on. Or it was until two days ago. ;)

I’m at a loss about how this happened but I am thankful to hear it wasn’t an intentional change. If no one else has had the problem and you and I can’t recreate the symptoms then it certainly looks like this is a one–off occurrence and most likely ‘something’ I did. :o But... I usually practice six days a week and I use the Favorites page multiple time during those practice sessions to quickly bring up the individual lessons...I just don’t see what I could have done to cause such a drastic change. Again, the pages appear stable now and that’s what counts the most.

Thanks for the quick reply.

john
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
Ben Martin
Administrator
Ben Martin
Administrator
07/25/2016 11:43 pm

John - I wanted to make sure there wasn't a bug on the site so I pulled up your page view history to take a closer look. I think what happened was you clicked to the 'in progress' page (I see it being loaded 13 times on the 23rd, before your post here), which can look close to the 'all' but not always the same depending on your use case. I think this was what made the order look different.

For now it looks like there isn't a bug, but let us know if you see anything else strange - we're always happy to help!
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/26/2016 7:52 pm
Ben -

Lengthier reply back to you via email. While the order of lessons on the "All" and "Completed" pages of the Favorites section are not as they were, it has been stable since my first post.

I appreciate your time and help.

john
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
cynthiamyra.kaelyn
cynthiamyra.kaelyn
07/27/2016 5:27 am

It's really bad news John
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.