Prince

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/22/2016 10:22 pm
Of the many reminisces I've seen, this one impressed me the most; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/22/2016 11:09 pm
I still can't believe Prince passed away. Thank you for sharing this!

I have always admired his ability to stay true to himself as a musician and a person. He always had his own style and didn't feel the need to conform to what everyone else was doing.

Here is one of my favorite Prince moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

When he played "Purple Rain" at the Superbowl, absolutely amazing.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
04/23/2016 1:07 am
John of MT-

Thanks for sharing this on Prince, he was a great guitar player, artist and performer. What made him very very unique, he was able to perform professionally and very well on the drums, bass and keyboards. I do not know too many pro guitarists that could do all the above on that level.

He surly be missed. May Prince rest in peace!

Tony
# 3
tonyd79
Full Access
tonyd79
Full Access
04/23/2016 1:23 am
"I have always admired his ability to stay true to himself as a musician and a person".

How so true this was of him, his beliefs stayed with him as a musician, performer and on his personal life. Prince did it his own way in every aspect of his life!
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/23/2016 4:01 pm
It's funny, back in the early 80's I saw Prince do stuff from Lovesexy and thought that it was kitchy but not mainstream enough (in a way, I still think that). Then 1999 came and you could really hear the songcraft. I appreciated it and tapped my foot to it but I was still 'too metal' so it wasn't my bag.

Christmas Eve, I'm about to head home to Minneapolis from college and my dad calls right before I'm about to leave and asks me if I wanted to go to a concert that night with my sister, cousin and my stepbrother.

You see where this is going.....I casually say, "Sure, why not."

It was of course, Prince. Christmas Eve. The first date of the Purple Rain tour. Otherwise known as a once in a lifetime, iconic performance.

It is still to this day the best concert I've seen and I have seen many great concerts by many great artists. Nothing like this. I've to date never seen a band that could just smoke like that. Obviously Prince was the master but everyone was just tip-top and on their game.

Never forget. After that day, I became (of course) a fan and particularly an admirer of Prince's musical skill. Yes, like has been posted many times on Facebook, the 'My Guitar Gently Weeps' solo from the R&R HOF is awesome but really, it is brilliant in the ability to know where the song changes and the mode with which to go to to wring out the most in how that section of a solo should feel.

So, there's my memory.....
# 5
Fliegenschwein
Fliegenschwein
04/24/2016 9:58 am
I've been lucky enough to see Prince three times. Once on his One Night Alone concerts and twice at the O2 when he did his 21 night residency there. Each time I was blown away. Such huge stage presence and talent. He will be sadly missed. RIP
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.