Question regarding slide-bar position

macool33
macool33
11/02/2015 7:40 pm
Hello Tom: Thank you for all of your hard work and amazing videos!

Question regarding slide guitar: ( on a normal electric guitar with normal-set action) ---While holding the slide tool on your finger (glass or brass, etc.) ....while "one" is doing soloing on the first 3 strings; i.e. high E, G, B .... Can the slide be placed ONLY on the those three soloing-strings or should the slide cover all 6 strings as well? (even the ones not being played??) ...I want to get a fairly clean solo sound without buzz or mistakes from the other strings. Any guidance on that theory? EXAMPLE SONG: Foghat/Slow Ride

Thank you!!

-Rick, Los Angeles
# 1
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2016 4:38 am
Hi Rick... sorry for the looooooong delay in response to your question about slide playing and soloing.

Yes, it CAN be quite tricky to get a good clean sound while using a slide. I find that I get a cleaner sound if I keep the slide to primarily the strings that I am playing on. Also, sometimes it can be helpful to place a finger behind the slide (on the string or strings being played) to silence the string behind the slide. This way you don't hear a subtle descending note as you slide up the neck or vise versa! I hope this is helpful!

Good luck and happy new year, Tom~
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.